Question

Data Migration in Upgrade Project

• 20 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have customer who is into an Upgrade project from IFS Apps 8 to IFS Cloud.

How do we manage the Data Migration of the existing data into IFS Cloud?

For Example: We migrate the Inventory Parts, Inventory Stock etc.

How about the LotBatchMaster, LotBatch History or Part Serial History windows?

Does this needs to be migrated as a part of the Upgrade project?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @manjunath.rao01,

first of all it should be clarified if the upgrade is a technical upgrade or planned as a data migration.
Technical upgrade means that a database copy will be performed and on this cloned database upgrade scripts are running to uplift the core from old version to new version. All data will be transferred since it’s based on a cloned database and “only the meta structures” are lifted to the new version.
A migration project means that you start with an empty database and migrate the needed data into the environment. But this means that e.g. historical data like closed customer orders, payed invoices and so on will not be transferred and remain in the old IFS version.
Is it already decided that it should be performed as a migration project?

BR
Martina

Badge +2

Hi Makede,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The project is a Migration project where we migrate the data into the empty database.

I understand that the closed data will not be migrated. What about the data like InventoryPartConfig, LotBatchMaster, LotBatch History or Part Serial History. Will this also be termed as Historical data and will not be migrated?

Regards,

Manju

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, if you are doing a new install nothing else than what you explicitly migrates will be moved from the older version. It doesn’t matter what type of data it is. (Transactional, historical, basic data or whatever you call it.).

However if you migrate inventory parts, new records will be there for InventoryPartConfig but not with the data from old database of course.

LotBatchMaster, LotBatch History and Part Serial History might also be filled in with new data when you migrate inventory stock if the parts are lot batch or serial tracked. But same thing here, nothing old is migrated automatically.

Badge +2

Thanks Tomas

Badge +2

@Tomas Ruderfelt 

How about migrating the data into the Part Serial screen.

I understand that it could be required for the Equipment Serial Object data migration. What shall be the value for “Current Position” field when we try migrating the data in Part Serial window?

Regards,

Manju

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi,

I have customer who is into an Upgrade project from IFS Apps 8 to IFS Cloud.

How do we manage the Data Migration of the existing data into IFS Cloud?

For Example: We migrate the Inventory Parts, Inventory Stock etc.

How about the LotBatchMaster, LotBatch History or Part Serial History windows?

Does this needs to be migrated as a part of the Upgrade project?

Hi Manjunath,

How did you migrate Inventory part in Stock with different statuses? e.g. reserved stock, issued Stock etc