Question

Supersession functionality in IFS Cloud

• 4 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I have an “old” component in a buildable structure that is no longer available. I have put the part in Inventory Part on a “no-supply allowed”-status and have the part superseded by another part.

How can I make it happen that when I have demand for the old part, IFS will take the supersession into account and generates supply for the “superseded by”-part? I understood that that would be the functionality but in my tests it doesn’t seem to work.

In a second option I used “Alternate Part” for this bust also this is not been taken into account for MRP calculation and demand/supply for the new part to replace the old one.

Anyone suggestions on this? If this functionalities are not working this way, what is then the real benefit of supersession and/or alternate parts?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Kurt Desmedt ,

Supersede part information will be used when performing deviation analysis ( used for IPR )and classification job for inventory parts ( used for ABC classification, Frequency class & lifecycle stage) . This also considered in the demand planning using demand forecast server.

The Plan Alternate Component check box in MRP will plan the alternate part if the original part is not in stock and excess alternate part is available in stock or has any open supplies

so, you can use the option  Phase out or Replace Component Structure option to replace the superseded part in all the product structure. 

Hope this helps!!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It is possible to use Alternate Component if you want to use up a component being replaced with a new one.

Then first replace the old to the new component in the BOM (The Phase Out or Replace Structure Component shown above can be used, and if required a new revision can be created).

Next add the old component as an alternate to the new and select to include in MRP netting.

Finally when running MRP select to consider alternate components. Now MRP will not create supply requisitions for the new component until the stock of the old components is consumed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks for the replies already, but the functionality we are looking for is from an operational perspective to be able to have IFS replacing parts based on a “supersession”-relation in for example MRP-calculation.

We get a call from a supplier a certain part cannot be delivered anymore, but we know there is another part that can replace this part. In that case we want to use the avalable stock and after that we would like IFS to suggest us the other part and also have the other part being supplied upon demand for the old part. Some customers have machines in the field containing the “old” structure with the “old” part in it. Making a revision in an engineering structure to replace the part will not fix my complete product lifecycle management.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Kurt Desmedt As I described you can replace the old with the new component in the structure, then add the old component as an alternate to the new and set MRP to use this in the netting so the new is not purchased until you have used up the stock of old components. What functionality are you missing?