Question

Multiple Supplier Part Numbers for One Inventory part

• 14 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

How do you set up an Inventory Part that can have more than one supplier option?  For example - - I have a coil - Part number ABC.  This same coil is made by manufacturer Apple, Beta, and Charlie.  They have their unique supplier part number - - but I am using the same distributor for purchasing them.  How do I set the Inventory/Supplier for Purchase part record so I can choose which manufacturer to order - as their inventory is available?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

The ideas from simplest to  complex are:

1 - add all three manufacturer descriptions and part numbers into the fields on the one SfPP and all three appear on the PO.  Probably not very useful though if the supplier requires you specify the exact part number and manufacturer on the PO.

2 - Use the Manufacturer Part No tab to set up the additional manufacturers and reference the the one needed when raising the PO.

3 - Setup A, B, and C variations of the part that don’t appear on the BOM, but allow separating each of the various manufacturers (PN 1000, 1000A, 1000B, 1000C).  This might be necessary if the parts each have a different price depending on the manufacturer.  Then when the part requirement appears, the PR-PO would have to converted to the right one for ordering that time, then when received, moved back to the general number without a suffix to be able to fill the demand which is at the main number.  This is a lot more transactions and probably also requires a project to keep track of the switching in and out of parts, but is also the only way to manage different prices and different availabilities if you need to track which one was purchased at any given time and the transactions to make it available.

None of these are really elegant or fool-proof, but I don’t think there is that type of solution in the normal use of the SfPP.