MRP - Purchase requisition duedate not before existing Purchase Order

• 15 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 10 replies

Hi All!

We runned into a Purchase Requisition with an duedate which we could not understand.
Hope someone in the community can help explain this.
It seems somehow that MRP is not creating an requisition with dueadate earlier than an already existing Purchase Order.

This is the scenario step by step:

We had an customer order(-5902), which was placed well ahead. And we ordered the parts for that order, also well ahead. (duedate 15-5-2024, And Purchase Order-57 was created, also duedate 15-05)

well ahead order placed, and PO released (MRP executed) 
So far as expected

Later, another customer ordered the same part. (Customer order -5903)
This wanted date was before that ‘well ahead’order.’
(Duedate 13-02-2024)

The leadtime for the inventory part is 1 day. 

second Customer Order placed, MRP not yet executed
so far as expected

now we expected that running MRP will create an Purchase requisition with duedate 13-02-2024.

MRP for part settings

But.. an Purchase requisition with the same duedate as the other purchase order is created:

MRP executed, PO requisition not as expected

This is where i don't understand. Can someone help me why this requisition is not with duedate 13-02-2024?

order cover time = 5 days 

MRP action proposals are also created:

MRP Action Proposals

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by matt.watters 18 December 2023, 13:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Just after posting, i tried some more scenario, and i'm even more confused now.

I've increased the qty of the second order(with the ealyst dueate; 13-02-2024) from 1 pcs to 2 pcs.

There is an aditional purchase requistion, duedate 13-02-2024, but, for 1 pcs.
So the customer order still has a shortage.

1 purch req with duedate as expected, but not enough qty.

This is the planning data of the inventory part:

​​

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Everything is working as it should. From the Phases of MRP:

Phase 5: Reschedule Existing Receipts

In the process of allocating existing anticipated receipts to demands, MRP always suggests moving the dates of existing orders before recommending any new orders to cover the requirements.  Action messages are generated to indicate the planned rescheduling events, by moving the order date in if necessary to meet an earlier demand, or suggesting the order date move out if earlier than required. In the event the existing receipts exceed the demands for the part, MRP suggests additional actions to cancel those unnecessary orders and/or order quantities.

Phase 6: Generate Planned Receipts

After all the existing inventory and anticipated receipts are applied to meet the requirements, only then does MRP plan new order quantities to cover the future demands. MRP planned receipts can take several forms: Make Receipts for manufactured parts, Buy Receipts for purchased parts, and Distribution Order Receipts for multi-site planned parts. Though not typical, with Manufactured/Acquired Split percentages defined for an inventory part, MRP can generate several of these receipt types in response to a single requirement.  These planned receipts are eventually converted into corresponding order proposals later in the process as described below.

So in your first scenario, the MRP Message of ‘Late Order’ is telling you to move the date of Purchase Order -57 to match the new demand from Customer Order -5903. The new Purchase Requisition -348 was thus generated to cover the demand from Customer Order -5902. Now, a decision is required by the Planner. Do you move the Purchase Order as MRP suggests, or do you change the required date on the Purchase Requisition to match the date for Customer Order -5903?

In the second scenario, the same as above is happening except now moving the Purchase Order for (1) will not fully satisfy the demand for (2) from Customer Order -5903 so a new Purchase Requisition Line for (1) was generated on requisition -51.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Dear @matt.watters ,
Thank you very much for your clear explanation and for taking the time to clarify. I now have a better understanding of what is happening, and it makes sense to me.

Unhow i now understand this requisition , this is not what we hoped for, because, for the customer who placed his order well ahead we where able to also purchase well ahead, which is good for our supplier, and for us.
Also, placing a purchase order well ahead makes the chance of receiving it on time greater.

In this scenario, the customer who placed the order later takes the advantages of the well-ahead-placed CustomerOrder:
We're creating a new purchase order for the customer who ordered well ahead, if the supplier cannot fulfill that new order in time, we can not deliver that well-ahead customerorder in full on time, but that ‘not-well-ahead placed order” will be thus delivered OTIF.

(we're in midmarket with fluctuating demands/parts, leadtime of suppliers is also fluctuating.)

Kind Regards,
Sander Keurhorst