Solved

MRP for Customer Owned Inventory - 1 site

• 15 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello, We are trying to electronically manage Customer-Owned inventory. Currently we use a manual Kanban card to trigger reordering. Does anyone know a way to utilize MRP to trigger Purchase Requisitions for Customer-Owned parts?

According to the help page for Part Ownership>Planning section, it is not possible, but I wanted to reach out in case someone has figured out a method of success.

Part Ownership Help Page:  

• Planning

• Planning is available only for company-owned and supplier-owned supply, demand, and inventory. This means that no planning is done for customer-owned, supplier-loaned, supplier-rented or company-owned renal asset demand or supply.

Details of the situation:

• Set up Purchase Part and Inventory Part
    • Set Safety Stock on Inventory Part to quantity of 25
  • Purchase Order created for Customer-Owned (quantity 50)
  • We receive them as Customer-Owned
  • Run MRP for FG part
    • MRP shows shortage of material due to not seeing Customer-Owned material and creates Purchase Requisition for 25
  • We update the Shop Order Material to use Customer-Owned component
  • Complete Shop Order successfully

The problem is in the highlighted line and I can’t identify a method to work around it.

Any help is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by IC-LukaszP 15 March 2021, 21:02

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

I'm afraid that MRP won’t consider Customer-Onwed stock. This is quite indisputable.

However you could use a trick. Enter fictional Purchase Order with some fictional Supplier, and Planned Delivery Date = today.
This PO should have lines with inventory parts & quantities that are being stored as Customer-Owned at the moment.
Someone or something (some sophisticated event perhaps) should modify this Purchase Order Lines in some periods of time, e.g. twice a day, usually before MRP goes, to adjust line Quantity equal to current customer-owned stock level. Also adjust Planned Delivery Date always as sysdate. This should help to 'cheat' MRP with the planned stock level that is company owned. Of course after issuing Customer-Owned stock into Shop Order, adequate PO line should be decreased or 0. I know this solution is a bit breakneck, but still nothing else comes up.

Regards, Lukasz

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks! We’ll look into this further. Our other option is to move stocking level to 0 and do a manual Kanban card to request the PO.