Question

Leadtime calculation vs leadtime for MRP proposals

• 28 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

One example :

A calculated leadtime for a Purchase Part gives 92 days: Supplier Manufacturing Leadtime 42 days, External Transport Leadtime 10 days, Internal Transport Leadtime 40 Days Distribution Calendar 5 working days a week. 

Purchase Proposals is created by a leadtime on 108 days.

Can someone explain the difference. From my perspective it seems that leadtime calculation  is not using same calender as order proposal for Internal Transport Leadtime. (IFS version 10).

This result in wrong information on Inventory Part as well as Inventory Part Availability Planning.

Manual order also verifies leadtime as Order proposals. 

From application help Internal Transport leadtime shall be using internal Distribution Calendar. But it does not.

Do anybody have faced this problem before and/or have a good explanation.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

What are the calendars you have for supplier and extremal transport (in ship via)? Are you not using such?

It would be good to see the days you get (like today 14-12-2022, with 15 days supplier manuf lead time, supplier is ready to ship goods on 5-01-2023) to analyse the days.

Thanks

Badge +2

Internal distribution Calendar is  5 days calendar.(Mo-Fri)

Distribution calendar is std 7 days calendar.

Goods receiving is only open Mo-Fri  so that calendar can not be changed.

The problem is that we need to register the arrival when supplier have delivered at port.

Thats why we register time from Port to actual delivery as internal transport time.

However the problem is in the leadtime calculation as it does not calculate leadtime as it does e.g. in MRP. And we then get a difference between calculated leadtime on inventory part and actual leadtime as the calculation only consider workdays and does not include weekends.

The problem is the difference in calculation that means that you can not do manual estimates of possibility to delivery but have to add a CO to get a reliable time of delivery..  

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

Have you tried using the ‘Calculate Earliest Unlimited Supply Date’?

When your calendars are not 24/7, what day you can promise a supply, will depend on the date you start the calculation, thus lead-time cannot be expressed as a sum of lead-time components like supplier manuf LT + transport LT etc. Purchasing Lead time displayed in inventory part is however the sum.

Unlimited supply date on the other hand, is calculated by using one lead time component at a time, from the day the calculation starts. For example, if today is 22-12-2022, it will first add the supplier manuf lead time 5 days to it, by considering the supplier calendar 5Days8Hours, to get 29-12-2022 as shipping date. Then it will look at ext transport LT of 10 days with 24/7 calendar to have the shipment date to supplier delivery point on 8-10-2023, etc.

It would be good to run this calculation daily so your parts have realistic supply dates and will be visible in IPAP.

(That being said, customer order is using the leadtime calculation as in the inventory part’s purchase leadtime, when you check availability, so unless you use the dialog I mentioned, you will not have an accurate date unlike MRP)

Hope this helps,

Asanka

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I have a similar question.  If all the calendars are using a 5 day calendar, for supplier, external and internal transport times, shouldn’t that be reflected in the unlimited supply date?

Today’s date - 5/19/2023

For example: the Supplier for Purchase Part has 20 days MFG LT - the supplier calendar is 5 days

The external transport time is 10 days - using same calendar as supplier therefore after calculating the Purchasing LT  I get 30 days in the Purchasing LT field.

I ran the calculate earliest unlimited supply and I get 6/21/2023.  

I am not understanding the calculation.  To me it appears it is not using a calendar so therefore counting 7 days a week?  Still does not make sense.

Please help.

Thanks

Badge +2

A daaily calculation of Earliest Unlimited Supply date mess up the info received from suppliers that have a real problem to deliver acc to agreed delivery time e.g. by a machine error.

I such a case the EUSD is updated once received an order confirmation from the supplier. And that date must be used in planning until passed.

Badge

The problem is the difference in calculation that means that you can not do manual estimates of possibility to delivery but have to add a CO to get a reliable time of delivery..