Question

How to buy existing part from new supplier without mixing?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I would like to be able to buy an existing part (no changes in specification) from a new supplier, but these deliveries should not be allowed to be used in regular production as the new supplier is not yet validated. Any ideas? 

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You may add an Availability Control ID for the parts received from the new supplier on Inventory Part In Stock. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Create a Supplier for Purchase Part Record for your new supplier, on the Inspection Tab enter the receive case:

Receive into Arrival, Inspect at Arrival
Receive into Arrival, Inspect at QA
Receive into QA, Inspect at QA

I would use personally use Receive into QA, Inspect at QA. Then fill out the remaining fields and save the record. 

When you create a PO for your new Supplier, the receive case will default to the option you chose above.  When you receive the PO the part will be moved into an Arrival or QA location (depending upon the option you chose (in my case QA)).  While the parts remain in a QA location, they cannot be used.  

Once you approve the supplier, you can move the parts into a picking/floor stock location.  Please let me know if this will work for you.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks for ther quick replies! An Availability Control is certainly an option, but wouldn't MRP then also not exclude these Parts and therefore re-order?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Will Part Supply Control help your case?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

It seems an Availability Control might work, but this is after receipt. Any bright ideas how to handle the purchase orders? I don't think there's an option to exclude a supply when the PO is out there? Although this might not be a problem when the first order quantities for the new supplier are small compared to the total demand, I am interested to learn from possible ideas.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

As mentioned above, I also suggest you to use one of below receive cases for particular supplier.

• Receive into Arrival, Inspect at Arrival
  • Receive into Arrival, Inspect at QA
  • Receive into QA, Inspect at QA 

Then you can move inventory into a selected location after registering inspection results. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Are you referring to a scenario where you raise PO to get samples from new supplier for free of charge and new PO is raised if those samples get through the quality inspections process?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Not exactly, our customer doesn't want to receive samples and charge via a new PO when these samples are approved. They want to purchase existing parts, but from a new supplier, with the restriction that they cannot be used for the current production process and MRP. After the welcome replies of everyone on this topic, we still have some issues:

When we use availability control or receive cases, the exclusion of the parts is after we receive them. So when MRP runs, it still counts the amount of parts which are ordered via a PO, but not yet received. So, by the end of the day we will have a shortage of parts for the current production line, because MRP included the ordered parts of the new supplier.

When we use Part Supply Control, we excluded the total amount of parts, including the existing supplier and the new supplier. So, this will not be a working option for this case.

In short, by your helping answers we are able to excluded the parts of the new supplier when we've received them. The open issue is; how are we able to excluded them for the MRP, so the parts of the new supplier doesn't interrupt the current production process?

Hi Rangi,

Not specifically free of charge. Our customer has a scenario where they want to source existing Parts at a new alternative supplier. However, untill the point that the goods have been quality inspected and approved, they want to keep out of the available inventory. But preferably, as long is it is still an open PO, they also want to exclude it from the available Supply for MRP / Part Availability Planning.

The only solution that I can think of is using Projects, however this is out of scope for the first phase of the implementation. Or by using Condition Codes, however we don't prefer to use Condition Codes for this.

Best regards,

Willem

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

You could Stop (i.e., Freeze) the PO, and all lines will not be seen as supply. This can be performed, though, only at the PO header and not on individual lines.

Similar thread here: