Skip to main content
Solved

iPaaS SMTP Gateway Setup

• 28 May 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi Everyone,

Would anyone have experience implementing the STMP Gateway in iPaaS?

I’m referring to this:

IPaaS SMTP Gateway - assyst11-8Wiki (axiossystems.com)

IFS provided me a username and password for the gateway - however I have no clue how to input all of my MS Graph API connection credentials details for my email box.

There are screenshots of configs fields in the wiki that need to be filled out - but WHERE do I input them?

Thanks!

Martin Provost

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Use the assyst email settings from and enter the Graph settings as defined here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Martin,

I will go through the process as I don't want to assume what you have and have not done and it might be useful to someone else in the future.

First action will be to register an Enterprise App within Azure (if you haven't already). This app will generate you an Application/ Client Id.

Image taken from Tutorial: Register an app with Microsoft Entra ID (Microsoft Dataverse) - Power Apps | Microsoft Learn

You should provide this app with the necessary API permissions (Mail.Send and Mail.ReadWrite)​​​​​​ and you might want to implement an ApplicationAccessPolicy to limit access to a predefined list of mailboxes for improved security.

Next is the baseConfig.lua file. IFS should be able to provide you with the necessary information for this stage​

smtpParms = {}
smtpParms.id = "Server1"
smtpParms.server = "[Gateway IP]"
smtpParms.port = [Gateway PORT]
smtpParms.user = "[SMTP User]"
smtpParms.password = "[SMTP User Password]"
smtpParms.domain = nil

strSMTPServer = smtpParms.server

It is also worth noting that IFS use multiple gateways for redundancy which results in the need to use arrays on the id and server variables.

smtpParms = {}
smtpParms.id = {"Server1","Server2"}
smtpParms.server = {"[Gateway IP]","[Gateway IP]"}
smtpParms.port = [Gateway Port]
smtpParms.domain = nil

Lastly, the Administration → Server → Mail Settings configuration. Here is a mock up that should show you what Enterprise App values to put into these settings.

One caveat, we are a SaaS customer and so I have no knowledge of the Karaf console. This is something IFS manage for us.

Hopefully something in there helped you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Use the assyst email settings from and enter the Graph settings as defined here.

Thank you Paul - I did that. Is that all that is required?

Based on the Wiki - I thought I had to do much much more!

So I guess I would be able to just get IFS to provide me with the connection string details to hit the new gateway and all will be good?

The username and password that was provided by the cloud team - that would be the username and password for the gateway right? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Martin,

I will go through the process as I don't want to assume what you have and have not done and it might be useful to someone else in the future.

First action will be to register an Enterprise App within Azure (if you haven't already). This app will generate you an Application/ Client Id.

Image taken from Tutorial: Register an app with Microsoft Entra ID (Microsoft Dataverse) - Power Apps | Microsoft Learn

You should provide this app with the necessary API permissions (Mail.Send and Mail.ReadWrite)​​​​​​ and you might want to implement an ApplicationAccessPolicy to limit access to a predefined list of mailboxes for improved security.

Next is the baseConfig.lua file. IFS should be able to provide you with the necessary information for this stage​

smtpParms = {}
smtpParms.id = "Server1"
smtpParms.server = "[Gateway IP]"
smtpParms.port = [Gateway PORT]
smtpParms.domain = nil

strSMTPServer = smtpParms.server

It is also worth noting that IFS use multiple gateways for redundancy which results in the need to use arrays on the id and server variables.

smtpParms = {}
smtpParms.id = {"Server1","Server2"}
smtpParms.server = {"[Gateway IP]","[Gateway IP]"}
smtpParms.port = [Gateway Port]
smtpParms.domain = nil

Lastly, the Administration → Server → Mail Settings configuration. Here is a mock up that should show you what Enterprise App values to put into these settings.

One caveat, we are a SaaS customer and so I have no knowledge of the Karaf console. This is something IFS manage for us.

Hopefully something in there helped you.

Hi Steve - this is awesome. I was looking at wiki and thought I had to do much much more… 

I have my app registration setup and also setup the Mail Setting in the UI.

My last step is to get the connection details from IFS. I’ll ask for that right now.

Thanks so so much!

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you Paul - I did that. Is that all that is required?

Based on the Wiki - I thought I had to do much much more!

So I guess I would be able to just get IFS to provide me with the connection string details to hit the new gateway and all will be good?

The username and password that was provided by the cloud team - that would be the username and password for the gateway right? 

Credentials from the IFS cloud team (for the SMTP server) go into SmartMail; connection details for Graph (for the Exchange server) go into assyst ( as per Steve’s excellent screenshot).