Question

Guidance on how to onboard customer on GIS Apps 10

• 29 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

How can we get the customer to use GIS maps in IFS Applications 10? They would like to view their Assets and their work orders on the GIS map. The assets are not always connected to a specific address, so we need to use Lat / Long coordinates. 

They will also use Mobile Work Order for Work Order execution.

The Customer use G-Tech for GIS mapping today and have licenses for G-tech

Does the customer need any particular IFS Licenses for this? Besides the licenses they have for IFS Applications.

Is it plug and play or do we need to setup configurations or integration work to achieve this?

Is it easier to implement BING maps rather than GIS?

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi 

There are some things I would like to get insight in to prior advicing. 

• Can you confirm that G-Tech is really G-tec and that it is ESRI based?
  • Are Lat/Long stored in IFS A10 today?
  • Are you interacting through Aurena or through Enterprise Explorer from a user perspective outside the MWO users
  • What are the use cases, when users would like to interact with the map. Is it interaction, editing or only visualization?

The ESRI based GIS embedded capabilities is a specific license. BING also requires licensing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

The Customer use G-Tech for GIS mapping today and have licenses for G-tech

Did you mean "G-Tec"?

http://www.g-tec.eu/en/technics/GIS

They don't disclose many details but Esri is mentioned in some of the pages so I suspect they use Esri as the backend and map provider.

If the customer has G-Tec and thus also Esri licenses, they might be allowed to use GIS Map/our Esri integration in IFS as well, but that's something they would need to verify with G-Tec. Perhaps they have a special arrangement with Esri that does not allow them to use Esri for anything else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I see now that Joakim asked more or less the same thing. I will let my reply stand anyway...

Badge +2

Lat/Long is not stores in IFS A10 today. We are interacting through Enterprice Explorer.

The main purpose is, that it should be possible to locate Functional Objects and Work Tasks on a map. As Location address is not specific enough, it should be possible to find Objects from Lat/Long.

Map must be visible in Enterprice Explorer and mWO.

New Objects can be created in G-tec with address and Lat/Long.  We will need to send this data from G-tec to IFS, to create the Objects in IFS or to change the Object status in IFS.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks for the update.

To get the map positions in MWO you will need to have the lat/longs in IFS. Either on the object, location or on the work task.

If there are layers with specific information that you want to make use of from within IEE. You should aim at using the ESRI GIS map. If you only would like to show WTs and objects you could evaluate BING/IFD Virtual map. However the later is deprecated in IFS Cloud.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks for the update.

To get the map positions in MWO you will need to have the lat/longs in IFS. Either on the object, location or on the work task.

If there are layers with specific information that you want to make use of from within IEE. You should aim at using the ESRI GIS map. If you only would like to show WTs and objects you could evaluate BING/IFS Virtual map. However the later is deprecated in IFS Cloud.

Also remember that IFS Virtual Map (BING) makes use of BINGs address to Lat/long geo conversion. It can be set to automatically convert object adresses to lat/long.
For IFS cloud geo conversion is done using Here maps instead. 

Lat/longs that are visualized in the GIS Map (ESRI) are stored in ESRI and not automatically transferred to IFS. To keep them in sync it requires that you make an integration that push new and added geo-positions from ESRI to IFS if you are going to use them in MWO. 

Badge +2

I have added lat/longs on objects and work tasks, but are unable to see them in mWO. The mWO map is just showing an empty map.

Does it require a Bing license to see the positions in the mWO map ? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

No not unless you are on a PC.