Question

Explanation of how elimination % works?

• 28 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Can anyone here advise how the elimination % works on a PM action expressed as a real life example?

I found the explanation of a PM action through the online documentation through IFS Cloud but the explanation is very confusing.

@Björn Kleist for reference

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Justin,

I know 0 % about this topic, so I cannot answer any follow-up questions, but is the below the documentation you were referring to?

http://docweb.corpnet.ifsworld.com/ifsdoc/Apps10/documentation/en/PMProcessing/AboutEliminationPMPlanLines.htm?StandAlone=true

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Justin,

I know 0 % about this topic, so I cannot answer any follow-up questions, but is the below the documentation you were referring to?

http://docweb.corpnet.ifsworld.com/ifsdoc/Apps10/documentation/en/PMProcessing/AboutEliminationPMPlanLines.htm?StandAlone=true

correct

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @justinmoon,

Just thought of sharing my knowledge as well hoping it will be helpful,

Simply Elimination percentage functionality enables minimizing the number of Work Orders generated with a single PM plan when PM contains several triggering mechanisms.

Ex : A generator in which we have to carryout Annual Maintenance or a Service once in every 1000 running hours

For such an instance if a PM is defined with calendar-based criteria and condition-based criteria in maintenance plan it contain planning lines pertaining to both criteria.

Thus at a glance a user may not get the net picture of the maintenance plan for the particular Object.

Elimination enables the planned lines set to Generatable equals No, that are planned to fall due approximately at the same date as another planned line in the same PM. Whereas system will enables the opportunity to eliminate certain maintenance plan lines in a rational way.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @justinmoon,

Just thought of sharing my knowledge as well hoping it will be helpful,

Simply Elimination percentage functionality enables minimizing the number of Work Orders generated with a single PM plan when PM contains several triggering mechanisms.

Ex : A generator in which we have to carryout Annual Maintenance or a Service once in every 1000 running hours

For such an instance if a PM is defined with calendar-based criteria and condition-based criteria in maintenance plan it contain planning lines pertaining to both criteria.

Thus at a glance a user may not get the net picture of the maintenance plan for the particular Object.

Elimination enables the planned lines set to Generatable equals No, that are planned to fall due approximately at the same date as another planned line in the same PM. Whereas system will enables the opportunity to eliminate certain maintenance plan lines in a rational way.  

I understand the purpose of why it is there. The problem I am having is the calculation that is used and the logic of how the percentage is set. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @justinmoon,

Sorry do you expect to know why this calculation is using ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @justinmoon,

Sorry do you expect to know why this calculation is using ?

Yes. Both why and the logic behind it. Additionally, I am confused on why the formulas are set up the way they are around using the dates in the documentation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi Justin,

The dates are used in the calculation because we need to identify a common factor to do the elimination and build the logic for the calculation. Even though there are several triggering mechanisms, the maintenance plan lines are generated based on a particular due date. So, if we need to eliminate a maintenance plan line, we need to consider the dates those lines are planned to fall due.

So the calculation is simply as follows;

So if the calculated elimination value (a/b %) of a line is larger than the Elimination At (%) value specified in the General tab of PM Action, this line is eliminated. 

For example, if the PM falls due based on a condition-based trigger today, it is not necessary to generate a work order for a calendar that falls due tomorrow. This percentage denotes at which maintenance yield a maintenance plan line should be eliminated when another PM trigger will fall due first. This field can have a value between 50 and 100.

Hope this explanation helps.

Best Regards,

Yasanthi