Solved

Difference Object Type - Type Designations

• 9 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

I’m looking for more information with regards to the use of Object Type and Type Designations on the Serial Object. What are they used for and how exactly do they influence each other and what are some use cases for them.

Situation: I entered a Type designation 0001 that I connected to Object type 600. Both of them were linked to Technical class 005.

Question 1: So when you go to the Serial Object, you can select a ‘Type Designation’ and the ‘Object Type’ will be completed with the object linked to the Type Designation - so far so good.But when both fields are empty and you select an Object Type, the Type Designation does not get auto-filled. Is there any reason for this? Why does Type designation autocomplete the Object Type but not vice-versa?

Question 2: it seems to be possible to add different technical classes to the Type Designation and the Object Type, while they are interconnected themselves (changed Technical Class for Type Designation to TC2 instead of TC5) . That means that the Serial Object is now connected to 2 different Technical classes: on the tab ‘Type Designation’ it can be connected to 1 Technical Class and the tab ‘Technical Data’ will contain a different Technical Class that was linked to the Object.

Is this correct behaviour? Does anybody have a use-case for this functionality?

Question 3: I also seem to notice a bug with the selection of Type Designation and Object Type

When Type Designation and Object Type are entered, it is still possible to change the object type to a different value that is not connected to the selected Type Designation. The system does generate a warning, but is not blocking. So now you have a Type Designation and an Object Type on 1 Serial Object but they are not connected. More so: if you would now execute a drop down on the Type Designation, it would not be possible to select this Type Designation (because of the Object Type). This leads me to believe this should not be possible. Can somebody confirm?

Looking forward to your replies!

best Regards

Roel Timmermans

icon

Best answer by Mayura Wasantha 12 June 2023, 08:19

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

To understand the behavior better, it would be good to understand the possible distinction between ‘Object Type’ and ‘Type Designation’ terms. 

Object Type, refers to a broader category of equipment based on its primary functionality and technical requirements where as Type Designation refers to a individual/specific group of items within an Object Type. 

For example, with in the Object Type “PUMP” there can be many Type Designations such as PUMP CENTRIFUGAL | PUMP RESIPROCATORY | PUMP VACUUM etc. etc. 

Given the above definition, it is clear that Object Type & Type Designation can hold different technical classes. Technical Class for Object Type holding more generic technical requirements whilst Technical Class for Type Designation holding the detail/specific technical requirements.

I hope this explanation may clarify the answers for 03 questions raised above in general. Do contact, if it is not.🙂