Question

Allocate resource vs Assign work

• 8 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

How is “Assign work” different from “Allocate resource” in scheduling. If I do assign work, It gets assigned to the person as per the start date I gave which is understood but allocate resource does not seem to do anything. It gets into his calendar on the current date itself. And Adjust to schedule ON/OFF does not make any difference

2 replies

Badge +2

Are you using mobile work order or technical portal?

When you look at either of those one sets a “hard” assignment to a resource, the other places it in things to list and must be accepted for mobile work, directly or from a pool.

Assign Work Task

Explanation

This activity is used to assign a Work Task to a mobile user.

Manual Resource Allocation

Introduction

Resources can be manually allocated to a work task using three different methods. These two methods are available through the Assign Work assistant for each work task:

• Allocate on Demands: Resources are allocated on resource demand activities based on the constraint defined on the work task and the demand.
  • Direct Allocation: Allocate resources directly on the work task based on the constraint defined on the work task.

The third method is available through the Assign Multiple Tasks by selecting multiple work orders or work tasks:

• Assign Multiple Tasks: Allocate one resource directly to the work tasks based on the constraints defined on the work tasks

Allocate Resource

Explanation

Use this activity to allocate resources required to execute a work task.

This activity is typically used when:

1. Allocating a maintenance resource to execute a work task.
  2. Allocating one or several maintenance resources to execute a work order work task.
Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Thanks Darrin for such detailed answer however I still could not understand some things. My ask is I created a task with duration 20 hrs & allocated to a resource “test resource” via on demand allocation as below

Resource shift calendar is on 15 Nov from 7 am to 7 PM, so it does not seem to impact the allocated start date at all. So how will a manager know when to allocate the task if he does not look at the resource shift, I mean there should be some automatic adjustment based on res shift.  Or I am doing something wrong?