Question

Format of new part number

• 6 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Where can I define on how a new engineering part part number should look like ?

It should be 10 digits long with zero leading .. like 0000000001, 0000000002 etc.

Also where can the next free “number” be defined (we are already at the number 0000054321) ?

We are at ifs cloud 23.1.6

Thanks, Roger

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

You can use Workflows to validate if it is 10 digits long and gives a message if not saying it should be 10 digits long and preceded by zeros. But unless there is an API to get it I’m not sure if Workflows can be used to generate the next number in a sequence.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Roger - I suspect that if the workflow would work for you as outlined by Lahirumala, you could probable add some SQL code to the work flow to identify the next appropriate number  - something like:

(I’m not sure on the table names and I have not tested the nesting of the sql functions)

select lpad((max trunc(part_no))+1,10,0) from master_part

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

You cannot use SQL in workflows. Only projections/APIs.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@CKZREGLI normally the Engineering Part number is given from a DB sequence if left blank.

• ENG_PART_MASTER_SEQ → engineering part
  • PART_NUMBER_ID_SEQ → for master part

Everytime a new Engineering Part is created and the eng part no is left blank, the system will get the next number from this sequence.

Badge +2

Hi Marcel,

I tried to query ENG_PART_MASTER_SEQ  and PART_NUMBER_ID_SEQ but both tables were not reachable with quick report .. are those tables in Aurena too ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@CKZREGLI these are not tables. They are database sequences.

Here is a link to shed some light on how these would work:

https://www.techonthenet.com/oracle/sequences.php

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Marcel.Ausan Happen to have an idea what the functional thought is why there are two sequences that can produce a part number?

I've not checked any coding if a cross check is done between the sequences when a new part number request is done.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@eqbstal no idea why there are 2 sequences. I would assume Part_Catalog_Tab and Engineering Part Revisions are using each it’s own sequence. I would also think it’s better if they share the same sequence, but once again I’m not familiar with the engineering process to be able to tell what was the requirement to have a different sequence.