Question

Taxable Amount doubling?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We have some customers in CA that have a GST tax of 5%.

We just did an invoice for 1080 CAD, but tax amount shows at 108 CAD (10% and not 5% as the tax code GST shows).

Error was noticed on the Proforma Invoice, where it was showing: “Taxable Amount” = 1080 CAD and “Tax Amount” 108 CAD.

To check it it was just a drop in system, we did complete the final invoice, but that now shows “Taxable Amount” 2160 CAD and “Tax Amount” 108 CAD (which is 5% of 2160, but order is only for 1080 CAD?). But “Sub Total” on the invoice shows correctly 1080 CAD, but “Tax” is back to 108 (10%)?

Even on the Customer Order screen, we can see in the bottom of the page that Tax amount is calculated to 10% and not the 5% the tax code says:

Anyone have any idea where this is going wrong or if we did something incorrect on the order and/or invoice?

Thanks,

Michael

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I am most familiar with tax APPS10 & Cloud.   Are you able to RMB on the customer order line to see tax details?

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I believe it is the report itself that is the problem, we’ve recently discovered a similar tax error with the customer order confirmation, it looks fine in the UI or on the order/invoice view, but on the printed report the customer gets, the tax amount is wrong - seemingly doubled.

We are V9 UD13.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

From checking deeper, we’ve found that the default Tax Code on the customer doesn’t carry over and leave columns “Tax Code” empty on the Customer Order. But on the Invoice details, we can see the tax line have been added 2 times:

But on line level on the Customer Order it remains empty:

But as you can see still calculates it double. I tried with one of our finance people (lack of permission for me currently), and she could manually add the tax code and then everything calculates correctly.

I just don’t quite understand why it shows one way on the Proforma Invoice and another way in the final invoice? And why it puts 2 lines of tax code on the order, while on the Customer Order the Tax Code is empty?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Speaking for APPS 10, it is possible to inadvertently ‘stack’ tax codes.  If tax codes are setup in numerous basic data, it will incorporate them all (customer, supplier, company default, sales part).   It is my understanding that APPS9 did not have that ability.   

It sounds as if the tax code is set to calculate at invoice rather than at order.