Question

Does anyone have a list of what needs to be rebuilt after a cloud delivery istall?

• 19 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

When you install a delivery in cloud you have to reset the ifsadmin password and then rebuild the SSO configurations. 

Is there anything else that gets overwritten each time you install a delivery? I am hoping to build a correct post-delivery activities list. 

Does anyone know if IFS is working on changing this behavior?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @namderek,

I'm curious about the necessity of resetting the ifsadmin password with each delivery installation. It seems more practical to update the correct credentials in the ifs-cloud-values.yaml or customer-values.yaml file, and it's a one-time setup. During delivery installation, you simply need to reference that file containing information about your instance. Resetting the password and rebuilding the SSO configurations for each installation seems unnecessary.

Your explanation seems more applicable when performing a database refresh. In that case, exporting instance-specific configurations, including system tables, securities, and permission sets, becomes essential to ensure everything is restored for that particular instance. 

I'm open to hearing different opinions on the matter mentioned above. If you have a different viewpoint or any thoughts on this, I'd be interested to know.

Badge +3

Our experience has been at least with every major update delivery you can not log in with any user but IFSADMIN until you log in with that account. It then asks you to reset the IFSADMIN password. You can set it to the same thing but you have to set it to get in. Just like it was a new install. 

Then we find that SSO no longer works until we reapply the settings. You can basicly just cut and past all lines and save but it doesn’t work until you do that. 

I agree I don’t think this is behavior that should happen but it does. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

May I know the IFS cloud version and SU level you are in? I don't know if the below post is useful for you.

Badge +3

I do not have access to that link. We are on 23r8 I think. Though I do believe the problem started when we went to 22rX.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @namderek,

I attempted this on an IFS Cloud instance running version 23Rx and did not encounter any issue requiring a reset of the ifsadmin password during the initial login. It's worth mentioning that the environment is not configured for Single Sign-On (SSO). I modified the 'ifsapp' value in the YAML file, enabling me to log in to the client using the updated password as specified in the YAML file. Additionally, the delivery is a small data fix with db deployments so I just ran the MT installer to reconfigure the instance to validate the credentials.
It appears that the issue mentioned might be specific to Single Sign-On (SSO) environments, then the steps you follow should be suitable post-activities for addressing the matter.

Badge +3

Hi @namderek,

By any chance, when you are installing the new delivery, are you changing the middle tier server or the namespace name? the behavior you explained (IFSADMIN reset and SSO issue) could be related to IAM realm not getting synced after installation. 

If you use the same Middleware server and same namespace from the values-yaml file, this shouldnt be happening. 

--
/Nishanth