Question

Sorting Date Issues - Inventory Transaction History per Part

• 8 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Anyone else notice sorting issues within Inventory Transaction History per Part?

Scenario: Attempting to sort records in a chronological order by Creation Date and Time.  Randomly there are anomalies as per the below screenshot:

Date Format for reference is: MM/DD/YYYY

Environments: 22 SUPD 5 and 22 SUPD 4 (different environments).  No recent changes.  

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi.  Can you provide a print screen that shows your search criteria?  This will help.  Please review and advise when you can.  Thanks!  Jane

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the reply, @Jane Perry.

I queried for only the part number.  No other search parameters were used.  I omitted the actual search value as it is unique to a customer’s environment.  

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or a ticket must be created.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @astfarazt 

I faced the same issue. However the following steps worked for me.

1. Sort creation time column descending.
  2. Click on the kebab button on creation time column and freeze the column.
  3. Then sort the created date column descending. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the feedback.  Although, this seems strange.  Is freezing the column a requirement based on how the software was developed or is this just a workaround?

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Freezing the column isn’t the key to the proper sort, however the order of doing the sort is.  You must sort by time first then by date in order to get the records aligned as you want.  The randomness of the records just doing date can’t be relied on to get the records ordered as desired.

This is actually true of most databases, the order of records in the table can’t be guaranteed to follow a time pattern, rather it is the primary key of the table that dictates that.  In the case of transaction history, unless there is only one site involved and only one time zone for the sites, it is very possible that the transactions look out of order by date when they are in fact sequenced by the transaction history ID.