Question

Change Document Repository Path

• 19 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

In the LU: EDM Basic - Repositories we are not able to change the values in the Path field. We wish to change where we store the documents in our PROD database. But when we copy PROD to TEST, we want to be able to change them in TEST so that our TEST writes to the PROD files. Also trying to do this calling the EDM_LOCATION_API.Modify() does not work. It says that the field can not be modified.

Is there any possible way to achieve this and if so, what kind of impact if would have on uploaded files?

I hope somebody can give us a word of advise on this matter.

Your help is much appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Firstly, I think it should say “so that our TEST DOES NOT write to the PROD files” above. After cloning, you would not want users in TEST to affect the files in PROD.

So, the short answer is no, there is no way to modify the paths after the cloning, from the standard interface.

The customer needs to have a script that they run after each cloning has been done. This script can change the PATH field of the repository table (EDM_LOCATION_TAB), to avoid files being overwritten. They should also update the PATH and LOCATION_NAME field (that is the repository ID) in EDM_FILE_TAB to a new value.

/Mathias

Badge +2

Thank you Mathias for your response.

I would like to clarify one small thing. If we change the PATH filed of EDM_LOCATION_TAB through a script, wouldn’t it affect already uploaded files?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thank you Mathias for your response.

I would like to clarify one small thing. If we change the PATH filed of EDM_LOCATION_TAB through a script, wouldn’t it affect already uploaded files?

No. The PATH in EDM_FILE_TAB will also need to be updated. But you can get away with just changing the LOCATION_ADDRESS field of the EDM_LOCATION_TAB if you are using FTP (to point to another FTP server, existing or not).

For Shared repositories, which can include everything in the Path field, you need to also change the PATH in EDM_FILE_TAB I think.

It might be good to check in a document and then look at the content of all fields in the following tables, to get a good idea on how it all fits together:

• EDM_FILE_TAB - For each file connected to a document, we get a record here. Look for fields like LOCATION_NAME (repo ID), and the different path and file name fields.
  • EDM_LOCATION_TAB - Where all repos are defined.
  • EDM_LOCATION_USER_TAB - Here we define the FTP server name, username and password to be used.

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @HIMILK ,

We use shared folders for our document repositories and were faced with the same question how do we prevent DEV and TEST environments from adding, removing or updating documents.

We do the following as part of our cloning process.

1. Change repositories from generating to usable.
  2. Change user permissions to only allow viewing of existing documents.

Regards,

William Klotz

Badge +2

Thank you, @Mathias Dahl and @william.klotz for all the information provided. We managed to successfully change the repository path and file paths.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thank you, @Mathias Dahl and @william.klotz for all the information provided. We managed to successfully change the repository path and file paths.

That’s great! Don’t hesitate to share any scripts here, or if you have a documentation or an outline of the steps that worked for you.