Question

Update ESD According to Material Availability

• 19 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

Is anyone able to explain exactly how the system calculates the earliest start date when doing the ‘Update ESD According to Material Availability’ function in a shop order?

I have read the IFS help page and tried playing around with several examples in our test system, but I’m struggling to understand how it works out the date it chooses. 

We are on Apps 10 UPD 8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steph.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi Steph,

As the name suggests, this functionality considers the availability of material to update the Earliest Start Date. 

To give you a very general example:

Let’s assume that you have a Shop Order for a manufactured part for a qty of 1, and this shop order has 1 component with a purchasing lead time of 10 days. We have 1 qty of this component part in stock but it’s already reserved for another shop order, therefore there is a material shortage for our shop order. Assuming the need date of the shop order to be in 20 days (8th June) and the routing of the manufactured part requires 1h, update ESD will change the scheduling direction to Forward, whilst changing the ESD to 10 days (1st June) from the current date (19th May).

Now let’s say you added another component part for your shop order. We do not have this component in stock and it has a purchasing lead time of 25 days. Now if you run update ESD function, the earliest start date will change to 25 days (15th June) from the current date (19th May) as this is the worst case.

The above dates have been mentioned considering a 5 day working calendar with no exception.

Hope this helps.

/Pabasara.

Badge +3

Hi Pabasara,

Thanks for the response.

I understand the basic example you’ve given - and that makes sense. 

However it gets harder to see what happens when we have many components on a shop order with multiple other supplies and demands in the system.

What would the system do if, say we had a part X with 10 pcs available in stock and a purchase lead time of 4 weeks - so no earlier than 16th June from today (19th May)

Shop order A requires 5 on 4th June

Shop order B requires 10 on 10th June

Purchase Order C is supplying 5 pcs due 14th June.

If we were to perform the calculate the ESD for shop order B, I would expect it to move the start date from 10th June to 14th June - based on the supply date from purchase order C. Have I understood that correctly? Or would it revert to ESD = today’s date, because there is enough stock on hand ignoring other demands?

I’ve been trying this out with different examples in our system. Sometimes it calculates the ESD that I am expecting to see, but other times it doesn’t and I can’t work out how it’s arriving at the date it gives me! 

Many thanks,

Steph.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

When Update ESD according material availability is triggered, the logic to calculate availability checks the availability for the whole time range from sysdate + lead-time (mfg lead-time for mfg components, purchase lead-time for purchased components). The logic will not only check if there are incoming supplies, it also make sure that if moving this order, you will not create negative project onhand for any other demands within that time period. I.e. you have a 10 day lead time for your component, and a supply coming in tomorrow, then you could argue for tomorrow is the ESD. But if all that supply is already considered to be used by another demand, Update ESD will move your order to the end of the time period (i.e. leadtime for component).