Solved

Starting Multiple Shop Order Operations

• 1 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hello,

We are running IFS Application 10 Update 8 and an upcoming change to our manufacturing environment is going to require two shop order operations to be started simultaneously.  For example lets say we have the following operations defined.

10 - Charging

15 - Pumping

20 - Circulation

When the operator starts operation 10 we’d like IFS to also start operation 15 as well.   We know we can have the operator manually start operation 10 and 15 manually but we are trying to eliminate a point of failure and automate this functionality.

Regards,

William Klotz

icon

Best answer by Björn Hultgren 2 November 2021, 07:52

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Unfortunately there’s no way to automatically start one operation when another is started in standard IFS. I’m not sure if a custom event/action could be used, maybe.

If the operations are on different shop orders they can be grouped into an operation block, and the operator will get a warning if not starting all operations in the block simultaneously.

If the operations are on the same shop order, why do they need to be separate operations? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Björn Hultgren ,

I’ve been looking into trying to have an event kickoff a shop order operation but I haven’t figured it out at this point.  Like you mentioned it may or may not be able to be done using an event.   I’ll have to check with the manufacturing side to see why we have operation 10 and 15 on the shop order as separate operations.  I think it has something to do with operation 15 being on a separate work center but I’m not completely sure at this point.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Can you select both operations and then click the start button if using Shop Floor Workbench?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Jane Perry ,

We’ve tried that and IFS will not let us select multiple operations and start them.   We have been looking at creating a custom event to start the operation automatically but starting a shop order operation is pretty involved and its going to take us awhile to figure out the code.   In the meantime we’ve documented the process so our production line employees know they must start operation 10 and 15 back to back and we’ve setup operation 15 to be parallet.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @Jane Perry ,

We’ve tried that and IFS will not let us select multiple operations and start them.   We have been looking at creating a custom event to start the operation automatically but starting a shop order operation is pretty involved and its going to take us awhile to figure out the code.   In the meantime we’ve documented the process so our production line employees know they must start operation 10 and 15 back to back and we’ve setup operation 15 to be parallet.

Regards,

William Klotz

I have just checked - it looks like it isn’t possible to start multiple operations that are on different work centres (but you certainly can if they are the same resource). I think @Björn Hultgren asked a good question but I would also ask if they are on seperate work centres, should they be started by the same person? It sounds interesting!