Question

Ship parts to 2 suppliers for manufacture

• 5 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi all,

I am trying to solve for the following scenario.

1. We ship out two components to create part-r: This is easy I created a purchase part for part-r with the two components underneath that get shipped to Supplier ABC.
  2. Once the part is manufactured ABC ships Part-R to Supplier 2, DEF, for painting. Also easy as it is a direct ship that gets auto delivered when I receive direct from customer order.
  3. DEF paints part and ships back to us under part-M. I am unsure of how to do this and keep the history.
    1. Receive part in as original part-r under RMA then open shop order and change part to part-m?

Any suggestions on how to solve for the third item on the list would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Hi Cindy,

One possibility is to:

1. Have a routing for part M that consists of two outside operations. The first outside operation (10) is for the assembly service at outside work center 'Supplier ABC' and this is flagged to 'Send to Next Supplier'. The second operation (20) is for the painting service at outside work center 'Supplier DEF'.
  2. Have a manufacturing product structure for part M that consists of the two components required to make 'temporary' part R. Connect these components to operation 10.

On the shop order you would have two Purchase Orders, one for ABC's service and one for DEF's service. You would ship the two components as WIP to ABC. When ABC is completed their PO would direct them to ship the WIP to supplier DEF, who would eventually return the painted part M.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks Matt,

I will walk through it!