Question

Manufacturing schedule delays

• 14 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Has anyone managed to insert a fixed schedule delay between the completion of a component part shop order and the start of the parent part shop order where it is consumed?

My scenario is that I want to ensure that the component part shop orders are completed ahead of when they are being demanded. I don’t want them planned to complete one day before the parent part shop order starts. In effect, I want to build slack into the manufacturing schedule created by MRP.

I thought of making the component routing have a longer machine time than I need to build it, which might work but it wouldn’t be obvious looking at the dates. But I’d be interested if anyone else has tried to do this and been successful.

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Manxmano ,

One option would be to use Safety Lead time ( you can define this against the inventory part) such that planning will make sure to complete this order earlier than the need date of parent order

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks very much, I like that. I will see how that affects the plan but it looks like it might be just what I was looking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Manxmano I agree with @EqeMithuV That Safety Lead time sounds like the best option.

Another option would be to add a queue time to the first work center. that will also drive material to arrive at the work center before the operation is scheduled to start.