Question

Inventory Part In Stock Revisions/Engineering Transfers

• 15 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

Hi all,

We are having some issues with part revisions and I can’t figure out the best way to tackle them. A little background on how we are using the software first (We are on IFS Cloud 22r2):

We are using the engineering part navigator to build out the components that an assembly is comprised of. Once the assembly is complete, we use the Engineering Revision Transfer Actions page to transfer the assembly and its components. We use the ‘all level transfer’ so the entire product structure is transferred, including any new parts that were created for that assembly.

We also have Remote Warehouse Assortments setup for service vans so they can be replenished with items when necessary. The items are moved from our main warehouse to the remote warehouses via a transport task created by a scheduled database task, Refill All Putaway Zones.

The all-level part transfer causes an issue with part revisions for items that already existed in inventory. Any part that existed in inventory prior to the transfer gets a new rev. It seems to stop at revision 2, but there are a few issues:

1. First, the obvious; now we have 2 different revisions of the same exact part design (could be purchased or manufactured).
  2. When the Refill All Putaway Zones job is run, a transport task is created to move stock to putaway zones that already have the item filled. I believe it’s because the system is readying qty (0) of revision 2, so it wants to move the appropriate quantity of the new revision.

That leaves me with two questions:

1. Are we doing something wrong that’s creating these additional revisions? Can this be stopped?
  2. For the items that are already stuck in this situation, is there any way to update the revision of inventory parts in stock so the transport task

I appreciate and welcome any suggestions and help.

Dylan

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Dylan;

When you transfer a New Revision from Engineering to Manufacturing if the state of the Product Structure for the existing Manufacturing Revision is Buildable, then a new Revision is to be created.

But if the existing Revision is Tentative and the First Revision, then the system will create New Revision for the Transferred Structure, and in the next transfer if the existing Structure Revision is Tentative and not the First Revision, system will overwrite the existing Tentative Revision from the Transferred Structure and will not create a new Manufacturing Revson to stop the creation of so many Tentative Revisions. Fist Revision is considered as an exception when it comes to use up the existing Tentative Revisions.

The handling revisions during the Put away is something to be answered by the Distribution Team who owns this Putaway Functionality.

Badge +4

Hi @dameenda,

Thank you for your reply. So, it seems like we can’t avoid getting the 2nd revision of the components in assemblies per the exception you described. We can live with seeing 2 as the revision for the parts, but as I said it seems to be causing bigger issues with the Automatic Putaway/Refill All Putaway Zones. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can provide toward a solution for all the extra transport tasks this creates.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Dylan,

I don't quite understand this one:

The all-level part transfer causes an issue with part revisions for items that already existed in inventory. Any part that existed in inventory prior to the transfer gets a new rev.

If the inventory part already exists and nothing has changed in this part, this part is skipped during the transfer. It is important that the creation of the inventory part was also previously implemented via the transfer and not, for example, via the "Create Inventory Part" function from the Eng Part page or manually.

Badge +4

Hi @MikeCH ,

A lot of the parts already exist as inventory parts and were created through the inventory part page, not through the engineering module at all. Also, all inventory parts that were migrated were created directly through the inventory_part entity. I guess those situations are similar to the “Create Inventory Part” dilemma as you outlined? Our business has engineering/manufacturing and distribution divisions, so it is not uncommon for a part we may use in a new engineering design to already exist as an inventory part that was sold through our distribution division (and not created through the Engineering Revision Transfer Actions page).

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Dylan,

Yes, this is the identical behaviour. A new revision will always be created for the first transfer. This is a fixed basic logic. Then the logic is applied as already described above by @dameenda .

Badge +4

Ok, understood. I still need to determine how we can consolidate the parts we have in inventory under a single revision so we don’t have transport tasks for items that really shouldn’t be moved yet. Is there a way to change the revision from 1 to 2 for all the parts that are in stock under revision 1?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Dylan,

That is a question that probably belongs here: 😉

https://community.ifs.com/supply-chain-251

Badge +4

Thanks, I will open a new topic. Appreciate all your input!