Question

How to declare parts movements in shop order with alternative UoM

• 5 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Dear all,

i’m facing a customer need on which i can’t find any solution 😶

The need is the following: the inventory parts UoM is Tons, but the UoM to use to declare shop order part issues and part receipt is m3.

The immediate solution would be to use input UoM group to make the conversion, but i coundn’t find any possibility to use the density of the issued or received parts.

Does anybody know how to use the part density in an input UoM group or have any alternative solution for this need?

Thanks a lot for your help 😀

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

You’ll need to use a Formula and Formula Variables with your Input UoM Group. I have some notes I can compile into one document. It may be scattered somewhat, but the concept will be in there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

File attached.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello Matt,

thanks a lot for your very quick and documented answer 😀.

This is what i’m looking for, except the fact that density is entered as a fixed value in your example. What we need is to get the density from the master part; otherwise we’ll need to enter it manually for each component. Do you know if there is any way to do this?

Thanks a lot for your precious help 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@RECOFR I do not know if it is possible to fetch the value from the Part record into a formula when using the Input UoM at material issue or receipt. This would require a discussion with a technical resource.

How many different densities are involved, which would relate to the number of required formulas and number of required input UoM groups?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Well, i don’t know how many distinct density exists…

I see your idea: create as many UoM group as distinct Density right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Well, i don’t know how many distinct density exists…

I see your idea: create as many UoM group as distinct Density right?

That was the direction I was thinking of.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I was trying to avoid it, but met me check how many distinct density we have first..