Question

How to copy Characteristics from one Engineering Part Revision, to another

• 19 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

On the Engineering Part Revision screen, IFS provides a RMB option called Copy Services. When clicked, a dialogue box is shown which allows the user to specify a Source part number, and then select if they want to copy the Structure, Documents, or Characteristics (or any combination there-of).

https://uploads-eu-west-1.insided.com/ifs-en/attachment/1f93ec04-3b29-4034-b469-08d916a91106.png

In IFS Apps 10, I can use this function to copy Characteristics (attributes, values, and Info) from one Eng Part Rev to another, but when i try the same in IFS Apps 9, the option for Characteristic is always greyed out.

Details of my process are as follows…

Open the Engineering Parts screen and create 2off new parts…

Part No: RHU-TEST-111,

Part No: RHU-TEST-222,

Open the Engineering Part Revision screen, and search for RHU-TEST-111

Open the attachment panel, select Characteristics,

RMB, Select Technical Class…

Select an existing technical class template (I used a tempate with ~50off attributes)

Populate the Value and Info fields on one or more attributes.

RMB, Save Attributes

On the Engineering part Revision screen, and search for RHU-TEST-222,

RMB, Copy services,

Populate source part no as RHU-TEST-111,

Use LoV to populate the Rev number,

In Apps 9, the “Copy Part Characteristics” option is greyed out, but when i try the same test in Apps 10, the option is available to tick, and the process successfully copies the characteristic data as required.

Is this an intention change between Apps 9 and Apps 10, or am I doing something wrong?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

The copy part Characteristics can be used to copy the Technical class and Attributes. Can you share a screenshot of what is filled in there, for the part you which to copy from? This info can be found under the ‘engineering part’ tab in the screen ‘engineering part revision’

If nothing is filled in there, the option will be greyed out.

You cannot add a technical class to a engineering part after is has been created. You should do this using the ‘Part’ screen (RMB in the header of engineering part revision of your part, then select Part)

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thank you for the reply!

Sorry, but i dont think the “Engineering Part” tab on the “Engineering Part Revision” screen shows anything relating to the Characteristics.

The below diagram might help explain what we’re trying to do…

We do not connect characterisics on the Part screen, as that screen has no revision control system.

Instead, we’re connecting the technical class to the “Engineering Part Revision” as that is a revision controled record (i.e. it has a Revision No and Status Field). If we need to change the data held in the Characteristics, we would 1st create a new Engineering Part Revision. That way, when we look at RHU-TEST-111 Rev. 0, we see the characteristics that were applicable to that revision of the part, and when we look at RHU-TEST-111 Rev. 1, we see a newer set of charicteritics data.

I then created a new part called RHU-TEST-222, and want to use “RMB, Copy Services” to copy the characteristic data held against Engingeering Part Revision RHU-TEST-111 Rev. 1, into the newly created Engineering Part Revision RHU-TEST-222 Rev. 0. This works fine in Apps 10, but the option is greyed out in Apps 9.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m sorry, I thought it was working in 9 but not in 10. But it’s the other way around. I can’t help with 9.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’ve raised this question with IFS themselves via a Support ticket, so i’ll try and update this thread if we find a solution.