Question

How do you not lose cycle entries when a part has reservations?

• 17 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

What is the proper process when making entries for cycle counts and a part is reserved?  We are preparing for annual physical inventory (only 2nd one in IFS) and had major issues with this last year at implementation.  I have been advised that when counts are being entered that is different than what may be on hand and reserved that you are not allowed to save any of the entries on the current count sheet.  Why is that?  Perhaps we have a setting that is incorrect?  Please advise ASAP, we are counting first week of Jan 2022 and I do not want to have to unreserve all the work in process at this point.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Badge +1

An inventory reserve is a contra asset account on a company's balance sheet made in anticipation of inventory that will not be able to be sold.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

There’s a setting when you create the count to “Freeze” Part which you can untick - not sure it’s the most sensible option to untick but it is there...

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Do you maybe have a bit more information on what the advise was regarding counting of reserved parts? System wise it is allowed to have counting differences on reserved lines, as long as it does not count less than the parts that are already reserved. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I’m not sure what other information you’re looking for?  

If a quantity of parts is reserved against an order, you can’t record a count of less than that quantity unless you had some auto-un-reserve process.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I understand that you can’t record a count less than the reserved quantity but if you happen to determine that your count is truly off, what is the process to record that during the counting process to reconcile later?  We tested in our TEST environment and we were not able to save the count sheet details prior to getting the message about the reserved parts.  Another concern is if this happens on a WADACO scanner.  Would we get a message and perhaps cancel the count of the specific part number?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I can’t comment re WADACO but could you put a note in the Note field on the count of the part/s requiring further attention and confirm/approve the others? 

Or perhaps register a Create Count for Inventory Part for the ‘off’ part/s and then confirm on the original Count Report?  

Not wishing to be rude, it sounds like you need a bit more training or perhaps consultancy on how your count is set up and expected to be processed?  

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

We have had a bit of turnover and had success with asking the community for help.  I am the SME for other OP’s pieces and not too familiar with the inventory piece.  Only trying to help other team mates.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Donna V could you share the message you are getting about the reserved parts? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

This is the message we get.  It makes sense however we are trying to not have to unreserve.  I was just wondering if there was another way.  We are temporarily going to make a note on the line but was hoping for a better process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Donna V ,

When we perform a cycle count against reserved product and we physically count less product in the location than is reserved we will have a supervisor unreserve the inventory so the cycle count to correct the count in that location then we re-reserve the available product again.

Regards,
William Klotz