Question

Error Message: Object modified by another user

• 29 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
  • What causes the following error message?
  • How do we prevent receiving it?
  • We receive this message when there is only one person updating the record. Never when there is more than one user editing it at the same time.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @hmccabe ,

What are you modifying when you receive the error message?

It could be there is a custom event running that is updating the logical unit (LU) causing the error message when you attempt to save your changes.  

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

There are a few instances I know this will occur with a single user editing the record.

The most common one I see is adding or editing a Note attached to an object (customer order is the classic), which gives no indication that an edit has occurred and the record is ‘dirty’.  Then the user goes to another field or another tab and attempts to save the second update which is clearly an edit due to the different text color.  This will always generate the error in my experience.

There are a few views that have sub-level tabs (customer is a good example) where a change to a sub-tab can be made (Delivery tax or Document tax), then you are able to navigate to another tab without being prompted to save your change.  If a second change is made on another tab that is a different logical unit, you will get the save conflict again because it is the same record, but tied to two different LUs and IFS doesn’t say - well you changed the record in two places yourself - as it really should.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi,

May be a custom event or background job tries to update a filed in the same table.