Solved

How to add a dimension item to an existing dimention?

• 24 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am new to dimensions, facts, and items. Is there a document or something I could read? My problem is I am trying to modify some BA reports that use certain information sources, and inside the sources there are existing dimensions, but the dimensions miss certain items that I want to add to them. 

I tried to add items on IFS from Information Sources → Dimensions → add new. But it asks me to incorporate a Fact that links the item to the dimension.

The question is, can someone please show me a way to add a new item to an existing dimension?

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Stefan Nyberg 30 December 2022, 08:34

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi!

You can add certain items that are missing in a dimension by creating “Custom Attributes for Dimensions”. After creating the custom attributes you can publish the items to the dimension.

You should not go to the Information Sources / Dimensions -page and try to modify the standard dimensions from there.

However, you should be careful when creating custom attributes. When the relations are not technically optimal, you can get performance problems using the custom attributes in your report. Especially if you are using custom attributes for facts. Also try to avoide using function calls in your custom relation. Try to join the tables directly instead.

Regards,

Stefan 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi all

Thanks for the question and great reply. Led me on the right track. In my case it was necessary to add  “relations for dimension” in the same called window before being able to add “Custom Attributes for Dimensions”:

Best Regards,

Lukas