Question

Data Warehouse and ETL IN IFS Application

• 2 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

my main question is, Does the ifs application have a data warehouse service?

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi.

IFS Applications / IFS Cloud does not include a solution for building general purpose Data Warehouses (data storage, ETL -tools, analytical models). However, IFS Applications / IFS Cloud includes a “pre-packaged Data Warehouse -solution” for the functional areas that are included in IFS Applications / IFS Cloud.

The solution IFS Analysis Models is based on predefined Information Sources (star schema meta-data models and Oracle views), MS SQL Server (including SSIS -logic) and analytical models in SSAS (OLAP cubes in IFS Applications 10 and tabular models in IFS Cloud). In IFS Cloud the solution can be administrated directly from IFS Solution Manager.

The IFS Cloud based IFS Analysis Models solution can be configured. As an example you can add Custom fields to the Information Sources and to the tabular models. But lets say IFS Applications / IFS Cloud is only one of many data sources. In this kind of a situation you would have to use “general purpose” DW and ETL -tools for building your own Data Warehouse.

Regards,

Stefan

Badge +1

thanks a lot Stefan, so I think the best way to have a good DW on IFS ERP application is design from scratch , am i right?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Well, modelling and implementing a data warehouse solution from scratch based on e.g. IFS Maintenance could be a huge task. With IFS Analysis Models you get a pre-defined solution including the tabular model. It could save you a lot of time and money. You have to evaluate what is the best solution for your situation.

/Stefan 

Badge +1

Nice! thank you,

Actually our resource is local server, and limit on RAM, I  want a Multidimensional Warehouse so tabular is not our approach, because of this approach  we want to start from scratch :)) 

/Setayesh

Badge +3

Hi Setayesh,

Yes IFS has their own out of the box DW and cubes that you can purchase, I used them back in version 8 and 9 and it was on prem SQL Server for DW with SSIS for ETL jobs and SSAS Multidimensional cubes that you could purchase for various IFS functional modules. Looks like they have changed to tabular in the cloud version. As with any out of the box solution, they would sometimes have what you needed in them and sometimes not. They were also a bit difficult to modify in my opinion. 

If you need a more custom solution for a data warehouse then yes can definitely develop your own using same SQL Server Stack, and add some Power BI in for reporting, which integrates with Aurena actually.