Question

22R2: Using Power BI in IFS hosted environments

• 25 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We have a customer on 22R2, hosted in IFS cloud, looking to use Power BI.

We’ve read the instructions here https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r2/050_reporting/400_power_bi_int/010_setup_pbi_int/

but not sure what customer would do and what would need to be done by IFS managed cloud team.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

8 replies

Badge +1

Hi Jporter,

I’ve attached the latest setup guide for the self hosted power bi setup. For the handling of the secrets, there’s a new Service Now form, for which you can reach out to Gayan Dasanayake:

https://community.ifs.com/members/gayan-dasanayake-6441

Hopefully this gets you started, if any other related questions arise, our team should be to answer those as well.
Good luck,

Edgar

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Edgar van Veelen 

The documentation you have provided is for remote/self hosted customers.  Our customer is hosted in IFS Cloud, which would be scenario 4 from the screenshot in the document:

Do you have guidance here?

Is it all set up by the IFS Cloud team?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @jporter,

The initial URL you stated in your question is describe the feature that enables the users of IFS Cloud in IFS Cloud Web to view reports published to Power BI Cloud and Power BI Report Server. But if you want to create Power BI reports by using IFS data, it is different than that. 

As per @Edgar van Veelen’s reply, you should setup and configure an environment to integrate with the IFS cloud. In there “self hosted” means you should have your own BI environment which is hosted in a your tenant.

By deploying the IFS analysis model in your environment you will be able to create Power BI reports with IFS data.

Best regards,

Thiwanka

Badge +1

Hi ,

@SandT , you are correct, I misunderstood the question initially. Please contact us if any further questions arise.

Kind Regards,

Edgar

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @jporter @Edgar van Veelen @SandT ,

I have the same need for a customer using 21R2SU19 managed cloud.

We search to provide, access and use IFS data on a power bi report.

do you find a solution ?

Regards,

Christophe

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Christophe BUSSI ,

Yes, We did it for a customer by using the IFS analysis models solution. Instead of using IFS standard tabular models, We created our own power-BI reports using a SQL database as the data source which can be configured as a part of the IFS analysis models.

If you need any further details please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

SandT

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@SandT 

Do you know if Gov Cloud customers can have self-hosted BI option or is it mandatory to use IFS Managed BI option on a Gov Cloud data center?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@jporter I don’t believe there’s an option for ‘IFS Managed BI’. I guess the ‘Self Hosted BI’ term causes some confusion as it infers there’s also some ‘IFS Managed BI’ but there’s none.

If customer want to use Power BI with IFS Cloud data then the only way to do that is by setting up  ‘Self Hosted BI’ which is a bunch of Azure resources (Azure SQL Instance / Azure Data Factory / Azure SSIS).

This is the necessary infrastructure to be able to pull data from IFS Cloud DB.

See more details about this at below URL:

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r1/050_reporting/450_self_hosted_bi_int/010_infra_setup_azure/