Solved

What does "DefColVisibility mean" in profiles?

• 29 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

DefColVisibility is a Profile Entry for table pages, but I’m not sure what it does.  I get that ColVisibility is used to show/hide columns.  I figured DefColVisibility would be something like Default Column Visibility so I set the value to false (0) for one of the columns and it didn’t do anything.  If the “Def” prefix doesn’t mean default, what does it mean?

icon

Best answer by Charitha De Silva 29 April 2021, 06:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi,

As you mentioned the Def in DefColVisibility is meant as Default. This is the visibility of the columns when the particular window is loaded for the first time. 0 meaning hidden and 1 meaning displayed.

However, if we hide an already visible column or if we show an already hidden column only the properties of ColVisibility will be changed. This will only be changed when all the windows are closed where the profile saving is executed. The DefColVisibility will however remain the same as these are the default visibilityvalues of the columns which are set at design time.

Badge +2

Hi,

As you mentioned the Def in DefColVisibility is meant as Default. This is the visibility of the columns when the particular window is loaded for the first time. 0 meaning hidden and 1 meaning displayed.

However, if we hide an already visible column or if we show an already hidden column only the properties of ColVisibility will be changed. This will only be changed when all the windows are closed where the profile saving is executed. The DefColVisibility will however remain the same as these are the default visibilityvalues of the columns which are set at design time.

Thank you!  Since the profiles I was working with all had ColVisibility set, it makes sense that I didn’t see the effect of DefColVisibility.

One weird thing I noticed was that when I hid a column by setting the ColVisibility to 0, the column would be hidden in the client, as expected.  However, when I then set the same columns DefColVisibility to 0, the column would be visible again.  Is there a reason that 0 for both ColVisibility and DefColVisibility would result in a visible column?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @skrzanderson,

Yes, that doesn’t seem to be in accordance with the expected behaviour. @Nalaka Samarasinghe@Isuru Gunathunga do you guys have anything more in this regard?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi, I agree with the answer given by @Charitha De Silva. And I believe 0 for both ColVisibility and DefColVisibility should set the column as hidden.

Did you tried refreshing cache? relogging to the application? 

If all done but still no changes, then @Rusiru Dharmadasa, any comments on this please?

- Nalaka - 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Agreed with all the comments. In theory setting value 0 must hide it. I do not see a reason to hide column if both values are 0. In client framework, these values are extensively used to determine different layout changes and states. If the client profile contains unexpected values the client layout can behave unexpectedly. It is also possible that these changes are irreversible so it would need to delete the complete profile node once corrupted. Hence we must never edit profile values manually - its ok for learning purposes but not to control the visibility and profile settings. You should use IFS EE client options to make the fields visible or hidden in user’s or base profiles.