Question

IFS Print Agents (Apps9) - Polls once then hangs

• 26 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello Community,

has anyone experienced an issue where the Print Agent when started polls once, processes a print job and then hangs?  The logs don’t provide any details on why this occurs.  If I restart the Print Agent, it will poll only once as before and then hang.  I’ve tried using console mode, same issue and no additional information.  I’ve tried restarting the host server, and reinstalling the Print Agent.  Luckily, this is a non-production environment.  All of sudden the Print Agent stopped polling for same reason.

Print Agent version: Apps9 Update 16

Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Does the Print Agent die or just seems to sit doing nothing?

If it just quits, I would guess that the printer mappings are going to a non-existent printer. I had that happen when a network printer was removed and no one told me.

If it’s just sitting seeming to do  nothing, check that the printer is installed on the server doing the printing. It may be working, but being really slow. If the printer isn’t installed on the system and you are using a UNC path to a network printer on another server. The system will install and unisntall the network printer driver for every print job going to that printer. It can take 5+ minutes between print jobs when that happens.

Badge +3

Hi Lane.

The Print Agent continues to run, but the log indicated it’s hung, as no additional messages are logged and no print jobs are processed, other than the one when the service is first started.  Debug messages are turned-on.  I will try your suggestions and report back.

Thanks!

Badge +3

I have reduced the number of printers in the Print Agent’s config file to one.  The printer is known to exist and is properly connected to the network.  I also removed the other printers from IFS’ Application Server Task - Processing Print Jobs window.  No effect unfortunately.  When I run the Print Agent, it loads the printer I have defined and proceeds to process one print job.  Then it hangs until I stop it.

Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Are you using the Java or the .net version? Honestly haven’t used the .net version.

Can you post a log file?

Badge +3

Hi Lane.

The Print Agent is the Java version.  Log file is posted.

Thanks,
Brent

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The only thing I see is that I normally set the printers up in UNC notation, such as \\computer_name\printer_name

It looks like the thread doing the polling gets stuck releasing the printer after it’s done printing.