Question

Hide a mandatory field from a different user?

• 16 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi,

On a PO, I made a purchase group mandatory and applied that base profile to another user. However, when I logged from that particular user’s account, I can see the mandatory field but still it allows that user to untick and proceed. How can I make this field non-editable or hide/gray-out?

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @nimesh ,

I believe you need to adjust your permission sets to remove access to the Mandatory tab.  When in the permission set you’ll want to go to the Presentation Objects By Component  tab.   Then navigate into the IFS Base Functionality and look for the Object Properties section as below.  If you uncheck the Object Properties - Mandatory it should prevent access to the Mandatory tab.  You’ll have to know what permission sets you’ve give individuals access too because if they have been granted the FND_CUSTOMIZE permission set they’ll be granted access to the Mandatory tab.  

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@nimesh 

If you want to make this field mandatory for multiple users, and non-editable, I would suggest that you identify the Presentation Object for the field and simply remove the ability to modify it.  This would allow it to still be visible not not changeable.

Typically this would be done by removing the Database Object named something like “Modify__” that is attached to the Pres Obj in question.  PURCHASE_PART_GROUP_API.Modify__ appears to be the one you might want in this case but be sure to confirm in your environment.

Nick

Hello @william.klotz  and @NickPorter  Thank you very much both of you for your help and really sorry for the late reply since I did not have time to test this out over the last few days. However after checking on both solutions proposed, unfortunately non of the solutions working out :disappointed_relieved: . I just wanted to make the mandatory field ‘Purchase Group’ invisible or non-editable for users on PO-->No Part Order Line Tab. Right now they still can click RMB-->Properties and uncheck the mandatory field ‘Purchase Group’ and proceed. Appreciate if you can show me how to do, a screenshot would be ideal.

Many Thanks

Nimesh

Hi @william.klotz Actually I have missed to check FND_CUSTOMIZE. Now it is fine. However, now I cannot see the mandatory fields tab at all. Is there a way to keep the tab available but only gray out the specific mandatory field? Thank you

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@nimesh 

Not sure whether it’s possible to keep the tab available but make it non editable for end user. An expert will comment on that.

However you can approach this by using an custom event since you want pass a value to PO and further control it using “Fnd_Session_API.Get_Fnd_User” 

This way you can have separate authorization/control on custom event level and  allow it only for required users. 

Further in PO, purchase group fetch from purchase part part basic data. if you update it, user will not be able to change it and  record will pass to PO automatically 

@nimesh 

Not sure whether it’s possible to keep the tab available but make it non editable for end user. An expert will comment on that.

However you can approach this by using an custom event since you want pass a value to PO and further control it using “Fnd_Session_API.Get_Fnd_User” 

This way you can have separate authorization/control on custom event level and  allow it only for required users. 

Further in PO, purchase group fetch from purchase part part basic data. if you update it, user will not be able to change it and  record will pass to PO automatically 

Thank you @Tj12 for your idea on custom event. But I still believe we don’t want to create custom event which we can solve via permission sets itself. As I remember I saw this one field gray out option in one of the projects longtime back but now I don’t remember how to do it again. On the other hand regarding purchase parts, it is actually not the purchase part always we keep and connect to a purchase group. We are purchasing no part order items on the PO (Using No Part order Tab mainly to purchase services and fixed assets) which we don’t predefine as a purchase part since it differs from item to item and moreover it would be one time purchase (based on the occasion). Hope you got my point. 

Many Thanks

Nimesh

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @nimesh ,

I do not how to grey out the one field just hide the mandatory tab.  I've never seen just one field greyed out.  You could possibly make the tab read only so it could be seen just not editable.

Regards,

William Klotz

@william.klotz  This is working fine! Thank you very much.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I’m still not sure why you would want to make the whole mandatory tab read-only (which I assume would apply across all screens) instead of simply making the field read-only that you want to prevent users from updating.  Unless of course what you were really wanting to do wasn’t the original question.

If the field is read-only (e.g. no update, delete or new methods are granted) then it doesn’t matter if it is mandatory or not… the user won’t be able to save changes if they try to remove or adjust the value in the field and you wouldn’t be restricting the users from adjusting mandatory settings in other screens.

I’m glad you’ve got a solution that works, but based on the original question about a single field it seems like a big hammer to break a small nut.

Nick