Question

Creating custom fields on LUs which does not support

• 30 October 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Has anyone had experience or workaround for creating custom fields on LUs without any base table? 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It may be possible to work around the FNDBAS restriction, but a business justification to do this would need to consider the unsupportable risk to the entire system.

If there's no base table, there's nowhere to store the row key.

Can you be more specific about what you'd like to do? (This might be an XY problem. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem)

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

If you are on IFS Applications 10 this is supported as of Update 6.

Badge +2

Depending on the context it may make sense to create a separate entity (Custom L U) that contains your custom fields plus relevant data from the standard LU - then use events to manage the underlying LU.  Feasible for simpler scenarios perhaps...

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Ideally, would want to stay within supported framework of the entire system. This is Apps 9 we are in. ShortageDemand LU (Resolve Shortages for Inventory Part) would not let any custom fields definition. Ideally wanted to show shop order status in the table so user can resolve shortages for shop orders which are started only.

At the moment user has to flick between screens to see the order status.

As a workaround I have provided two solutions.

1. A custom menu on shortage line takes user to shop order screen (populated) so user can see the status without having to query the screen.
  2. A custom menu link to quick report showing same result in the shortages table on the screen but showing additional shop order status column.

However, I do not like this workaround, instead screen should have supported custom field so user do not have to leave the screen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Have you considered saved searches?

You might try a saved search on the detail view to narrow the records to “Started” shop orders. Right-mouse-click the lines area and select “Search in Context”.

shop_ord_api.get_state_db(order_no, line_no, rel_no) = 'Started'

You may also want to filter this from the header. (I don’t use this screen every day and may have chosen the wrong fields to pick as keys.)

(part_no, contract, condition_code, part_ownership) IN (

SELECT sd_.part_no,

sd_.contract,

sd_.condition_code,

sd_.part_ownership

FROM &AO.shortage_demand_uiv sd_

INNER JOIN &AO.shop_ord so_

ON so_.order_no = sd_.order_no

AND so_.release_no = sd_.line_no

AND so_.sequence_no = sd_.rel_no

WHERE so_.objstate = 'Started')

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Have you considered saved searches?

You might try a saved search on the detail view to narrow the records to “Started” shop orders. Right-mouse-click the lines area and select “Search in Context”.

shop_ord_api.get_state_db(order_no, line_no, rel_no) = 'Started'

You may also want to filter this from the header. (I don’t use this screen every day and may have chosen the wrong fields to pick as keys.)

(part_no, contract, condition_code, part_ownership) IN (    SELECT sd_.part_no,           sd_.contract,           sd_.condition_code,           sd_.part_ownership      FROM &AO.shortage_demand_uiv sd_     INNER JOIN &AO.shop_ord so_        ON so_.order_no = sd_.order_no       AND so_.release_no = sd_.line_no       AND so_.sequence_no = sd_.rel_no     WHERE so_.objstate = 'Started')

I like your idea of Save search. This user will always just see Started Shop Orders.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Jonas,

We are on Apps10 Upd 6 and we have a problem with project_transaction_analysis where we don't seem able to add custom fields as it does not have an objkey. Can you please explain how it is possible?

Many thanks and Regards,

Anne-Sophie

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

Hi Jonas,

We are on Apps10 Upd 6 and we have a problem with project_transaction_analysis where we don't seem able to add custom fields as it does not have an objkey. Can you please explain how it is possible?

Many thanks and Regards,

Anne-Sophie

Hi Anne-Sophie,

Unfortunately that is still not possible. Every view you want to have Custom Fields on does still require an OBJKEY column.

The reason why the PROJECT_TRANSACTION_ANALYSIS view does not have an OBJKEY column is because the view selects data from two tables (via a UNION): PROJECT_TRANSACTION_TAB and INVOICING_PLAN_TAB. The custom field framework does not support mixing OBJKEYs of different tables which is why the OBJKEY is completely omitted from this view.

The restriction lifted with UPD6 was in relation to the base table requirement: There is a number of "Utility" Logical Units in IFS that have views based on tables of other logical units. A good example is the "IncomingInvoice" Logical Unit where all its views are based on the INVOICE_TAB. As long as the view has an OBJKEY column it is now possible to also add read-only custom fields to Logical Units like this which was not possible before.

Best Regards
Jonas

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thanks very much Jonas for quick answer, unfortunately, that’s what we feared.

Kind Regards,

Anne-Sophie

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I think I’m in the  same room with my question: https://community.ifs.com/technology-infrastructure-cloud-integration-dev-tools-50/custom-field-not-showing-in-shop-order-operations-3962

Which is related to no custom fields on shop_order_operation_join view.