Question

CPU usage on Server 100%

• 1 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi all, after a failed update we rolled back the servers and they have went from around 10% to 100% and sitting at this constantly. has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the fix? 

Support just told us to upgrade our hardware… but that doesn't explain why it jumped so much.
i have noticed there is some stuck threads, but unsure what is causing these.

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SWTSTSLIAM ,

It’s completely normal to have stuck threads in your system. But eventually, they should get resolved. If not, then that’s a problem. Have you tried a complete server restart?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Himasha Kapugeekiyanage 

They have been there for around 2 weeks and not shifted, and yes a complete server restart has been done a couple times. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @SWTSTSLIAM,
Please also refer KBA : 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It looks like this is the DB server (or is the database and middleware running on the same server?). can you check one of the “V$” DBA views in Oracle to see what is running? I am not an Oracle expert so I do not know what query to run, but you should be able to see things from the database server’s point of view and maybe get an understanding of what is running…

JoeK

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @sutekh137 

I can run a statspack and see whats running from the server, and yes this is the DB server, the Middleware is separate. 

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@SWTSTSLIAM,

It seems like it’s the Oracle RDBMS server that is spiking. It’s better to check the resources.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello @SWTSTSLIAM,

It is better to check the TOP consumers after generating a statspack report. Also, it seems there are multiple DB instances are running in this VM. So, most probably this might be a resource limitation issue. Please go through the following article as well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb3195888-fix-high-cpu-usage-causes-performance-issues-in-sql-server-2016-and-2017-9514b80d-938f-e179-3131-74e6c757c4d5

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Imal Thiunuwan 

I have just ran the stats pack and I cant see Top Consumers, I can only see Top Timed events? 

also there should only be the one Instance on this server, I am going to look at that now. 

Thanks 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@Imal Thiunuwan 

just checked and the other instances that are running are for PSOCDB and TASCDB that are fine and are using minimal resource. 

Thanks