Question

components not included in the solutionset.yaml file show as available in the IFS Cloud use place? Is this a mistake?

• 15 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

I am trying to understand why components that are not included in the solutionset.yaml file still show as available in the IFS Cloud use place? 

Is this a mistake?

Many thanks

Sheila

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

hi @MuzSheilf 

Solution Sets is a concept introduced in IFS Cloud being a simple configuration which defines what components should be enabled or disabled from the whole IFS component suite.
Being integrated with Developers Studio and Code Generation, any active Solution Set configuration will simply act as a filter and...

• Show and/or Code Generate the enabled components
  • Remove and/or Not Code Generate the disabled components

In IFS Cloud, the Workspace/BuildHome file structure will always be complete and contain all components IFS provides, physically on disk. That is a big change compared to previous versions of IFS Applications where only the components that were to be installed were also physically available on the Workspace/BuildHome. Then, all missing components were then simply assumed not being available and were therefore never installed.

IFS Cloud, having all components always available, is instead relying on the SolutionSet configuration file (solutionset.yaml) whose purpose is to list the components that should be enabled and by that, installed.

You will be able to get more understanding on how solution set concept works by going through following links

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r2/060_development/050_development_tools/002_developer_studio/030_reference/900_solution_set/

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r2/060_development/050_development_tools/002_developer_studio/030_reference/950_dcd_and_conditional_compilation/#solution_sets_and_dynamic_dependency

/Harshini

Badge +1

Many thanks for the response.

I understand the concept of solutionsets.yaml, my worry is that currently the Use place (a fresh new IFS cloud environment) has available ALL the installed components, if we now use this environment to start solutionising I could be solutioning on components that actually the solutionset says we won’t have so we could then be in a difficult situation?

Any ideas? 

Many thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @MuzSheilf 

A fresh new IFS cloud environment will have all components installed, but once you placed the solutionset file inside fndbas you need to trigger another delivery build and it would re-generate code and enable only the components which are active in the solution set file. Then only you should start doing customization as required.

/Harshini

Badge +1

Thank you for the clarification

KR

Sheila

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

HI Harshini @hamalk ,

Thanks for the earlier explanation. However, does that mean if a customer start using IFS use place without installing a delivery they get to use all the components?

In a project delivery life cycle, a delivery to the use place may not happened until late establish phase or implementation phase. Isn’t it a risk to do a solution prototype based on components not licensed to use? i.e. we may not realise that a component is not licensed until the first delivery is deployed.

/regards

Ravi

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@MuzRavirE 

When you get a Release update, along with that you will get the Solution set file based on your SKU. and the solution set file is placed inside the base line repo. So when a build is triggered the code will get generated based on the active components in solution set fie which resides inside the baseline repository. In that way you need to trigger another delivery build if you want to change the solution set file which you purchased initially. for an example if you added some custom components etc.

Badge +3

Hello Harshini, @hamalk 

Hope you can advise on this. Let’s assume a core component ‘X’ is currently false in the customer’s (Cust Repo and Base repo) SolutuionSet.yaml file. My understanding is that ‘X’ is unlicenced to this customer. But still, the customer can amend the SolutuionSet.yaml, make ‘X’ as True, then successfully create a delivery and deploy it in the Use place without any issues. It doesn’t sound right. Where did that cross-check happen? Is it only when applying the next RU ? Could you please share some insight?

Thanks

Kelum

Badge +1

Hi Ravi,
As a practice, the initial delivery which is created as a part of the customer onboarding process in the Build Place needs to be deployed to all USE place environments to enable the correct component set for the customer. You need to do that as the first step for any project. 

Best regards, 
Manoj

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @KeFeUK 

If the customer is manually enabling the component ‘X’, which is false according to their SKU, then it’s about violating the sale agreement they have with IFS. Ideally that should not happen. So need to discuss this with sales and legal department as how to deal with this kind of a situation.

In the next RU that will get corrected once again.

/Harshini

Badge +3

Thanks @hamalk, for the clarification. In my opinion this is something R&D should have placed some sort of validation somewhere. Hope you can raise this as a concern to the relevant teams.

Regards

Kelum