Question

Case sensitive

• 9 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello, 

Does anyone know how to turn off case sensitivity in IFS version 9?

Many thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Olivia Gaches,

I hope you are referring to the search dialog match case option?
If so you could simply change the default behavior.
1. Navigate to "System Parameters" window (Solution Manager\System Parameters).
2. Search for [Parameter: Search dialog Match case Default]
3. Change the value to "OFF".

The personal profile takes precedence, hence changes are not visible if this was modified in the personal profile.

Please note that changing this option will have a negative impact on of the overall search performance of the application.

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @dhlelk 

Very helpful, thank you 

May I ask you what do you mean when you say “negative impact on of the overall search performance”? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Case sensitive searches are much faster than when the case is ignored.  Turning it off for everyone across the board by default will mean everyone’s searches will be generally slower, not to mention they will not learn the proper format of the data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Olivia Gaches,

Hi @dhlelk 

Very helpful, thank you 

You are welcome and I'm happy to help 😊

May I ask you what do you mean when you say “negative impact on of the overall search performance”? 

When you untick the match case option on the search dialog, it wraps each column and respective search expression with an UPPER() function.
Having function calls in a where clause reduces the performance on your queries since the standard indexes won't be considered.
Therefore, case in-sensitive searches are relatively slower than case sensitive searches.
Hence, it's recommended to keep "Search dialog Match case Default" value as "ON".

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.