Solved

BPA - Informative user message

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Hero (Partner)
  • 17 replies

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the possibilities of BPA. We have a customer that would like to see an informative message if some conditions are met. This means we are going to compare two values and if they are different from each other we want to inform the user of this.

In BPA we have the Validate type which can be used to perform a validation. Except when using the “Terminate End Event” in the workflow the workflow will block the user from saving the record as this is an error message. 

Is there another way to do this validation, but not to show an error message but an informative message? Because we still want to save the change.

Since the check is on a custom attribute, I found out that a custom event on the custom field table with online SQL is not working. The Client_Sys.Add_Info is not working in that case. That is the reason we are looking at BPA as a solution. 

Kind regards,

Michael

icon

Best answer by MiLeNL 8 July 2022, 16:37

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@mmol 

Mainly to give this a bump (because I am interested in this as well), but yes, on some other threads the un-reliability of Client_Sys.Add_Info has been remarked upon. It just isn’t implemented in all spots, so if you want to trigger an informative message for an LU where it isn’t in play, you are out of luck.

However, I was all but certain that Cloud BPA supports all sorts of richer client experiences, including warnings and the ability to get further input from the user (LOV choices, yes/no/cancel choices, etc.). Surely there is some other validation type that doesn’t terminate the flow as an error condition, or perhaps even lets the user decide whether to proceed with the save? I remember being at least marginally impressed by an introductory video on IFS Cloud BPA, and that was from well over a year ago. Cloud is supposedly advancing all the time...

If IFS Cloud BPA does not offer a more robust client experience (as in, everything is still an error or it isn’t) then there isn’t much point to it, in my opinion. I hope someone clarifies that and can provide some more recent documentation and/or videos about it.

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I believe this is possible. Not a ‘real’ information message as you would get in normal IFS windows. But using the Workflow you can give a popup window to show a message.

If you give it a nice header and some text. It will look like this;

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@MiLeNL 

Thanks for the answer! Do you know of any comprehensive documentation, examples, or training videos on IFS Cloud BPA usage and configuration? It would be of great benefit if we could analyze all it can do…

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@sutekh137 ,

Regretfully i do now know of any comprehensive documentation. Mostly just trying out things. Would be good if some (more) documentation would be shared. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@MiLeNL  @eqbstal @bdoucette 

We were looking for the same question and were wondering. Is there a way of achieving this with a validation workflow? 

It would be very nice to just expand the validation workflow with an end event with an info message in stead of a failure message? 

would that be possible? Or is using a user task the only option still? We are on 23R2