Question

BPA IFS Failure Event - Customize the message from variable

• 13 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I am working with BPA for validation purposes. To show a message I am using the IFS Failure Event (Validation Failure End Event) which is documented here: IFS Failure Event (Validation Failure End Event)

My goal is to display a message from a variable. 

In my BPA I have a script task that sets a message variable like so: 

I connected it directly to the IFS Failure and set the message to be ${errorMessage}: 

When this BPA runs the message never substitutes the variable: 

Any ideas? 

6 replies

Badge

Hi Lukasz,

did you find any solution? I have same issue.

Badge +2

I also found it is not currently possible to use variable substitution in the error messages but if you have a limited number of error messages to display, use an Exclusive Gateway to show the appropriate message. Each IFS Failure Event will have to have fixed text for the relevant error. 

Badge

Hi Adrian,

thank you for the solution, but for me this is a terrible workaround.

I can't imagine creating different error messages when I want to add a workflow input parameter in the error text.

For me, the ability to use a variable as error message text is essential functionality. 

Badge +2

Hi Piotr,

I totally agree but BPAs are a work in progress for IFS and that is the only method I have found as a workaround. There is also no ability to add record detail to the error message such as an order no to help users but hopefully IFS will add this functionality. Unfortunately it is not mentioned in the release notes for 24R1.

Badge +2

@PiItPL and @lstanczyk , I have thought of a solution.

Create a projection configuration for the page and add an action to call ERROR_SYS.APPL_GENERAL.

Call the action passing the custom error message as a parameter using variable substitution.

And that works…

Badge

@adrianm. many, many thanks for this solution! It works perfect.

Tip for next solution users: To remove dot from beginning of message add colon before message text.