Solved

API functions documentation

• 16 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 1 reply

Apologies in advance, this is probably a very n00b question, but I’m struggling to find an answer!

Can anyone advise on where I can find documentation on API functions? 

As an example - I’m creating a migration job, based on this answer. However, the INVENTORY_PART_CONFIG_API.GET_ESTIMATED_MATERIAL_COST() call isn’t giving the values I need. I know there’s also a .GET_INVENTORY_VALUE_BY_METHOD() function in the same API; but where would I find a list of all the functions in the API, explaining what they are, their parameters, return value etc.?

I can find details of the REST APIs via API Explorer, but can’t find anything equivalent for API functions. Although there’s certainly some similarity with the REST APIs, they don’t seem identical - e.g. I can see a REST API called InventoryPartConfigSet, with GET endpoints that include EstimatedMaterialCost in the JSON, but nothing related to inventory value.

icon

Best answer by Marcel.Ausan 16 February 2024, 13:02

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@al-v I think the only way to do this would be to read the PL/SQL procedures/functions and see exactly what the logic is. You would need to connect via PL/SQL Dev client and connect to the IFS DB and look up the packages/procedures/functions that you are interested in. At least this is what I’m doing whenever I need to understand in great detail what some feature is doing.

I subscribed to this post in case someone shares a better way to do it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello @al-v

As @Marcel.Ausan said, it is easier to analyze on PL/SQL dev tool. However, it is doable in the application as well. Let me explain you.

You can go to PL/SQL Package Code window in IFS10.  In body section you can see package details.

Export to txt and save with sql extention. Open sql extension file with Notepad++ application. It is really easy to review and understand package details. See one of example below

Hope this helps

Badge +1

Thanks both for the suggestions, very much appreciated.

@gumabs do you know if there’s an equivalent screen in IFS Cloud, by any chance?  [There’s no ‘Logical Units’ section in Solution Manager > System Information and Utilities for me, in IFS Cloud and searching for ‘SQL’ within the UI returns nothing.] 

I’m quite surprised that the only way to get this info is via the function source code - given that the functions can be invoked directly from the UI without needing PL/SQL, I’d assumed that there’d be some standard API documentation. But sounds like that’s not the case 😔

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello @al-v 

As far as I know in cloud, there is not similar window yet. There is window called Entity where you can see table fields etc. But you will not see any SQL code.

Hope this helps