Question

Access to the oracle IFS Cloud database

• 18 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi everyone, I am on IFS Cloud 22R1 and I want to read my oracle database. I read in the IFS documentation that it was no longer possible to attack the oracle database via ODBC (https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/040_tailoring/300_extensibility/600_integration/080_legacy_int_methods/#legacy_integration_methods).

However, an oracle system account exists "IFSDBREADONLY". Is there any way of performing this operation (https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/030_administration/010_security/010_users/#special_oracle_users_in_ifs_cloud)?

Thanks for your reply

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @AHOSZEBESTA,

What did you mean by reading your Oracle database? Is this regarding a IFS Cloud environment hosted at IFS?

If that is the scenario then I don’t think you could get direct database access but you could use some quick reports via application to gather data from the tables you are looking for.
If it’s an on prem environment you could use tools like PLSQL/SQL developer to read your database. 

Please elaborate more on your requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

When your environment is hosted in the Azure Cloud you can still access the database in all environments. That you can do with user IFSINFO, just request pwd for that via the support portal in a password request form.

That user has read only access and the purpose is for BI etc.

All other information about how to access it should you already have got in the document “Cloud Operations Guide” sent to you after installation. If you do not have that I guess you can request that again via a support ticket.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I think whenever possible use the HTTP API - spending time doing new sql integrations is not future proof. Even if ifsinfo might work for now. Eventually these integrations will most likely be deprecated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If the purpose is to access BI then it is OK. Fetching large amounts of data via Rest API’s might be hard with timeouts etc. Of course this access might change in the future BI solutions.

If the purpose is to build an integration you should of course use Rest API’s to query the data instead of using own built SQL via ODBC, that is not what this access is for.