Question

Tax Area ID

• 24 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

We are on IFS Cloud and have a customer saying they are getting charged the wrong sales tax rate.  We are using Vertex as our tax software interfacing with IFS.  I have reached out to Vertex already and it appears one side of the road is one tax rate; the other side is a different tax rate.  Vertex told me to set the Tax Area ID so that can pass thru the ERP.  I assume this is on the customer record and probably tied to the address we are sending it.  I am not finding a field for this Tax Area ID.  Anybody have an ideas?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello

Tax Area ID should be Jurisdiction code field on the address tab of the customer window. See the help description for the field. 

Jurisdiction Code:
When you save an address (i.e. you are creating a new address or updating an existing one) for a customer, the values in City, State, Zip Code and County fields are sent to the external tax system. In return, we get a code representing these values to IFS Applications. This code, known as the jurisdiction code, is saved in this field. The jurisdiction code is retrieved only when you save a customer address and an external tax system is installed. The jurisdiction code is used in U.S. and Canada for determing tax rates.

Badge +2

We are on IFS cloud and that field is not available to alter.  See screenshot below.  You also mentioned help description for the filed.  I tried that but on the cloud version that help field help does not exist.  Is there something else that needs to be set up so I can specify to Vertex the jurisdiction for this address so it charges correctly?  Other option, and I hope we do not need to get to this point, is set up a tax assist rule in Vertex so it charges.  I am hoping I can set something up in IFS so Vertex grabs the correct jurisdiction.

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello

The field is not editable in IFS10 either. It is automatically updated from external tax system based on address of the customer. Can you please show the address details for the customer?

Badge +2

Here is the address details that you asked for, I assume this is what you were meaning?  As I mentioned originally Vertex is saying I need to set this Tax ID so it uses the correct rate, currently it is coming back with state and local tax, customer is saying it should be state only.  I have done address look ups and it appears it should only be state.  Avalara comes back with only state as well.  Need something else please let me know.  Thank you for the help with this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello

I should be more clear. Please click pen and show address details per each field. Is 57064-8132 your zip code?

Badge +2

Yes, 57064-8132 is the zip code.

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Is it a regular zip code in the US? It does not look to me so. This might cause not fetching jurisdiction code.