Question

reopend shop order by IFS

• 9 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi Experts

I have the experience with a customer where the shop orders keeps on getting reopend by the system and closed again. i searched by the shop order number and i see Transactions starting from the 2.2.2022. on the 5.12.2022 i see it got open and closed again with some revaluation. I really dont know how to start with the analysing or dont even know whats the cause for this.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello

You can start with transaction revaluation events window. See if this part has records on that window. If so, you can see what is source of it.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @bytsophan ,

Our shop orders are opened and closed by the system as well.  We notice it because we see this background job “Close Open Shop Order from Transaction Revaluation” entry.  IFS does this because a change in cost has occurred and IFS kicks off the job to recalculate the new costs.

I’m betting your inventory part valuation method is set  to “Weighted Average”.   

As long as you do not interrupt the background job the system should complete and any shop orders that were closed will be closed again.  We’ve had discussions with IFS in the past and they assure us its behaving as intended.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @bytsophan ,

Our shop orders are opened and closed by the system as well.  We notice it because we see this background job “Close Open Shop Order from Transaction Revaluation” entry.  IFS does this because a change in cost has occurred and IFS kicks off the job to recalculate the new costs.

I’m betting your inventory part valuation method is set  to “Weighted Average”.   

As long as you do not interrupt the background job the system should complete and any shop orders that were closed will be closed again.  We’ve had discussions with IFS in the past and they assure us its behaving as intended.

Regards,

William Klotz

Hi William

Yes the raw Parts are set to Weighted Average and also set to Transaction based.

What I dont understand is what actually triggers the shoporder being opended and close again. Do you have any Idea how to check a shop order why its opening again.

I checke the window  transaction revaluation events. I see there are several shop order revaluated. i dont see why though. I also cannot see how this window will help me to validate the reposting of the shop order. 

I know how to validate a purchase order revaluation since i compare the cost of the arrival with the invoice amount and purchase order amount.

Do you have an idea how can i validate a shop order according to the transaction revaluation window?

Best Regards

Sophal

Badge +3

Hi All,

We have the same situation in APPS10. The Shop order is reopened by a revaluation event triggered by either another Shop Order or a PO/Invoice posting. 

Opening the SO is not really the problem as they are usually closed again but in some cases they are not closed again and stay open. Which is a bit of a pain especially for the WIP account as it is not balanced until manually closed again and generally clearting off the finished SO.

This is the case when the Background joby: Close open Shop Order from Transaction Revaluation runs into the following error:  ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource

I also had this sometimes when manually closing those shop orders again. 

We currently Work with a Lobby Element that shows all Shop orders with the parameters fully issued material, fully reported operations, fully received but not closed. But I rather have this somehow automated such as automatically rerunning those Background jobs. 

Best Regards

Basil

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

In IFS using weighted average cost - we have a concept often referred to as cascading cost or simply cascading.  - Assume a shop order where the issued material was values at 100, and the shop order receipt is 200.      Now assume the cost of the raw material from the shop order changed due to a supplier invoice. The true cost of that raw material is 110.   The cascading will cause the issued part cost to change to 110 - causing the shop order cost to change and the resulting received part from the shop order will now be 210.   Now assume that part was consumed on another part, that revised cost, then flows to that item.   

The system essentially is able to determine where the raw material was used and update the related cost due to the supplier invoice (10 increased) value.   

That process will open / close shop orders.  

Best regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi, 

In IFS using weighted average cost - we have a concept often referred to as cascading cost or simply cascading.  - Assume a shop order where the issued material was values at 100, and the shop order receipt is 200.      Now assume the cost of the raw material from the shop order changed due to a supplier invoice. The true cost of that raw material is 110.   The cascading will cause the issued part cost to change to 110 - causing the shop order cost to change and the resulting received part from the shop order will now be 210.   Now assume that part was consumed on another part, that revised cost, then flows to that item.   

The system essentially is able to determine where the raw material was used and update the related cost due to the supplier invoice (10 increased) value.   

That process will open / close shop orders.  

Best regards

Hi THomas

This means if you receive a purchase order and you need to return for rework, and the rework arrives like 3 months later it will reopen all shop orders from the tiem of rework until the to date. I found out the best thing to do ist to get a credit not from the supplier for the rework items, match the rework transaction with the credit note, and receive a new invoice for the arrival of the reworked items. This way the receipt will be closed for the time until the reworked itmes arrives. this prevents the reopening of the shop order I assume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I have not tested the reworked item. Not sure if that would apply, as I’m not seeing that a reworked item by the supplier would always change the cost.    The cascade concept is triggered by a cost change.  Without testing - I would assume no cost changes, no cascade. 

Best regards

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

It could also happen in a situation where you have a heirarchy of Shop orders where multiple SFGs are created when lot based costing is used.. Until a shop order is closed, the inventory cost of the item is based on the weighted avg cost and not the actual cost of the raw materials used (and other cost factors). Lets assume the shop order created for Raw Material → SFG 1 (SO1) is not closed, but the shop order created using the same lot, SFG1→ FG(SO2)  is completed and closed. The cost is still average cost based.

If you don’t have a process to close the shop orders at month end, the SO1, will remain open and contain the average cost. If someone or a process closes SO1, it will take the actual cost and will start revaluing all shop orders connected to the lot created by SO1. This can cause shop orders to open, however it should automatically close as well.

Not sure if this is relevant to your problem, just another reason that SOs can open.

Pamith