Question

GL Vs Inventory value per period not tallying

• 16 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Dear All,

I have come across the following issue. All the inventory related GL accounts and the relevant inventory value per period is not tallying. I have checked the following. Let me know your thoughts.

• Checked the posting controls. Apparently no issue
  • No posting control issues and posting errors
  • No manual vouchers
  • No date difference (Applied date vs created date)
  • Inventory transactions history vs GL voucher row analysis not tallying.

If you have any SQL  query written for the inventory transaction history which is used to reconcile with the GL. Please share.

Please advice.

Regards

Naadira

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Per the following 

• Checked the posting controls. Apparently no issue

What validation is this?   You / your client can have bad posting control set up, yet all the postings successful.  In what ways has this been validated?    What posting types are set to use the inventory accounts?    IMO, Only M1 should connect with the true perpetual inventory accounts. M3 / M4 is best to use different accounts But I can see M3 and M4 also being some flavor of inventory / inventory in transit. 

If any postings other than M1, M3, and M including manual transaction codes, that would be a clear problem. 

Also, if new to inventory valuation and if you have very old history from previous version of IFS that could possibly cause balancing issues. But if you started with apps 10, that should not be an issue.  

Migration can also be a problem.  Depending on migration tool, I have seen migrations where the M1 postings do not affect GL, and GL value is created via loading the trial balance.  This can cause issues in that M1 was never really generated the GL balance and then differences can be expected. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello @IniNaadiJ 

@Thomas Peterson is right. Not receiving an error on distribution and manufacturing does not mean that everything is set up correctly.

I would start from GL voucher rows analysis. Create a search for yourself something like below and start analyzing what transaction codes are posted to inventory accounts from M1 posting type. If you see something other than M1 then your postings are not correct and balance will not match with inventory value

Hope this helps