Question

Business Reporter - writeback requirements

• 18 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

As I understand it not all information sources are available with writeback functionality in IFS Business Reporter.

What are the requirements to enable writeback? Is it configurable as a customer or do we need to customize an information source?

Best Regards

Anders

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Anders,

Writeback functionality is not available for all information sources as you say.

For those sources that writeback is available, there is no need to separately enable it.

For those sources that writeback is not available but you wish to make it available, best way is to create a new information source and configure writeback to work in the new information source.

Best regards,

Lauri

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks Lauri!

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Anders Jansson

Writeback is a generic function in IFS Business Reporter. Only a handful of all available Info Sources support writeback.

-Report design limits user’s writeback methods

-Enable only if the Info Source allows modified or complete writeback

Information Sources supporting writeback in Apps 10 RTM

Budget Drivers, Budget Template Transaction, Business Planning Drivers - All Versions, Business Planning Drivers - Valid Version, Business Planning Transaction - All Versions, Business Planning Transaction - Valid Version, Cash Flow Forecast, Design Object, Design Object Specification, Design Part Specification, Employees Per Planning Unit, Personnel Planning Transactions, Planning Unit Comments, Project Forecast Item, Revenue Recognition Forecast Accumulated Balances

• The Writeback functionality makes it possible to update IFS Applications with data from a Business Reporter report. Writeback is a generic functionality and can typically be used to write back planning, budgeting and forecasting information. It is defined in each Information Source whether it is writeback supported or not.

Types of writeback:

• Complete writeback – all rows in report are updated, even if unchanged. Suitable if you want to be sure all data in IFS matches data in report – perhaps protecting against changes made by other users in the period between when the data was retrieved and written back. BE SURE TO INCLUDE ALL ROWS WHEN DOING COMPLETE WRITEBACK OR EXISTING NON-MATCHING ROWS MIGHT BE REMOVED. (If existing rows are removed or not depends on how the Business Logic is implemented. If the report is designed on an aggregated level and writeback also sends aggregated values to the server interface, then there is a risk that it is not possible to store the aggregated values unless the existing transactions are removed; if the aggregation level of the report differs from the aggregation level in the source entity, e.g. Budget Template Row, then the described situation probably occurs)
  • Modified writeback – only data in rows with changed values are written to database.  Suitable when one only wants to change modified values.

Hope this would help to some extent

Best Regards,

Peshala

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but quite interested to find out whether it is possible to enable writeback for a quick information source?

Thanks in Advance & Regards,

Malik

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi!

Yes it should be possible since an Information Source created based on a Quick Information Source Draft is technically the same as a standard Information Source.

However, you need to implement a database method/function to retrieve the data that is written back from the IFS BR client. I don’t think you can (should) do this as a onfiguration, can you?

/Stefan

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Thanks Stefan. I was wondering whether we can avoid creating a database method via modification and do it via some sort of configuration. Seems it is not possible from what I hear from you.
Cheers!
Malik