Question

FSM Mobile - Identify mobile record of person

• 8 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi all,

How do I Identify within the fsm app, the mobile record of a person? If a person has 2 mobile records in the person_mobile table. How can I know which phone the person is using in the FSM mobile app.

I’m looking for a way to identify if the app is online or offline, like on the sync page where you have a green dot or a red dot. One way I’m thinking off is to use the last sync date.

Regards,  

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @drooij,

There are two places to view a users mobile information in FSM. Either on the person record and then selecting the mobile devices tab or by using the mobile dashboard.

Both locations will show you basic information for the device such as the hardware make and model and the OS type and version. 

For finding out which device is in use and which is not then the last sync date time if likely best as you have indicated. An active device will attempt to sync every minute or so (depending on the settings in the app params) and so will update that field quite regularly. 

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@Lee Pinchbeck, thanks. so I guess to is no way to identify the current device the user is currently using. Besides checking the last sync date time, which is not preferred. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

@drooij why is the last sync date time not preferred? The only way for the client to know when the mobile is in use is when the mobile app sends and requests data from the server and that is what populates the last sync date time. 

Maybe if there was more information on why this information is required then we may be able to advise an alternative method to reach the same business need.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@Lee Pinchbeck, Because then we pick the most up to date last sync date, not the sync date that’s connected to device X. Will it be correct? Probably most off the cases.

However next to that, it seems that the last_sync_dttm from person_mobile isn’t updated in mobile if you query it (in mobile). The sync rule is on Real Time on is sending all records (*). 

In short regarding the use case:

Sometime a tech is in a area without any mobile coverage. So the app in in “offline” status. Also we had some rare cases that the app is stuck in ‘offline’. We want to display the status more clearly to the users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @drooij,

If a device is offline or offnetwork then you will be unable to determine that remotely as it cannot send a status update when offline. That is true for any device or app. All you can tell is when the device did last connect which is what last sync date provides. You could maybe link that to some sort of time period depending on your needs e.g. last sync older than current time - 10 mins to then determine if a status of the user should be changed for the client to assist back office users.

The only way you would be able to tell otherwise if it is planned in or reported by the user before they enter the offline area.

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck