Question

FSM 6 Android SDK 30 to 33

• 6 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Google Play Store will no longer accept apps on SDKs targeting less than 33. Is there any plans to have the Android SDK updated to 33? Even though the Play Store is not supported, I am not sure if staying on a older SDK 30 is a good idea as well.

Any customers that currently use the Play Store in order to deploy via InTune/MDM, will no longer be able to do so as of August 31 (fixes, new mods).

Anyone has done a project specific update of SDK? I started trying with SKD31 but it is a good chunk of work. It new builds and launches, but there will be plenty of runtime issues to be fixed.

PS.: Apparently there is an exception to extend it to November, but hasn’t been confirmed yet. There might be an option available to “ permanently private apps” as well, but hasn’t been confirmed yet.

2 replies

We have acknowledged this problem and are actively addressing it.

It's essential to note that Google's requirement applies solely to new app releases and updates for existing apps. Any apps already available on the Google Play Store will remain accessible. However, any new apps must adhere to the compliance standards and use API Level 33 or higher.

If you currently have the FSM 6 Android app on the Google Play Store, you have the option to request a grace period until November 1st. During this period, you can still submit updates that may not meet Google's compliance requirements.

Regarding our development efforts, our R&D team has already integrated API Level 34 into the FSM 6 Android app. However, it's important to note that API Level 34 is associated with Android version 14, which is currently still in its Beta stage. 

Google recently decided to delay the official release of Android 14 until October 4th. This means that there's a chance the API could undergo further changes before the official release. Consequently, we will have to wait for the official Android 14 launch and then conduct a final round of testing to ensure that our app is compatible with the stable version of the operating system.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Hans. I assume this would be available on u26 only (no downporting). Do you know if lots of code changes were needed and even new libraries required? That will give me a glimpse on how much work it might be needed for me to get the u22 customer working on a 33+ SDK.