Question

Using Macro Functionality in Docman

• 1 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Experts,

Please let us know whether the below requirement can be met in the Docman functionality.

Requirement -

To convert documents attached to a document class to PDF

Details - 

Employees register their expenses in the expense management module of IFS where they attach the receipts/bills they receive to the specific expense sheet. As of now we get documents in different format attached to the document class.

Investigations until now - 

1. Document class management has a functionality for a Macro

According to the help text it is understood that we can register macros to be applied to process within a document class

1. For testing we created a Document Macro Block with a Script for a pop up message

Then connected it to Macro Basic Data

And we were able to use the macro to pop up the message.

Kindly requesting any tips on how to setup the print functionality or any other process to meet the requirement of converting documents of a document class to pdf.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Dharshankumaar Mahendran 

You can use a macro to convert the user check in file to a PDF and then check in both files (Converted PDF as VIEW copy). This is rather easy if the original file is a type of MS Office package (Word, Excel etc). If it something like JPG or PNG, then you might need to use a third party library like PDFCreator. 

However, using a macro, you cannot replace the file user is checking in, you can only check in both files.

BR,

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Amila Samarasinghe 

Many thanks for the reply. The information you have provided is really helpful

A checked in file will be belonging to a document class and as you said there is possibility to convert the checked in file to PDF, The converted PDF will be assigned to the same document class? if the attachment is JPG or PNG does it mean that we would definitely use a third party tool and convert to PDF and then attach to IFS or whether this can also be integrated within IFS.

Appreciating your response. Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Dharshankumaar Mahendran 

The converted PDF will be assigned to the same document class?

Yes, and to the same document revision even (it will have two files attached, both seen under the File Refs. tab).

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Mathias Dahl,

I could not find the converted in the File Refs. tab. Am i missing something?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Dharshankumaar Mahendran  are you using the Aurena Agent plug in? It is needed in order to run Macros (as well as view file check in I believe)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Dharshankumaar Mahendran  are you using the Aurena Agent plug in? It is needed in order to run Macros (as well as view file check in I believe)

Correct, both needs the Aurena Agent to be installed and active.