Question

Process for requesting access to and managing approval of access to a specific docman document

• 31 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 15 replies

Hi,

We need to manage a process where an end user (IFS Cloud 21R2 today, soon 22R1) shall request access to a document and current users with access shall be notified and upon approval automatically have the requesting user granted access to the document.

Anyone who have done a clever config or mod for this?

/Tor

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Tor, nice to see you here 😃

I think you should be able to hack something together using custom events there. The question is what the triggering point should be/where the user will request access to the document. I can probably suggest a handful of places/ways, but it will be the customer who decides what they think is practical or not. How much manual work are they prepared to do? I assume they will see the document in IFS and based on that decide that they want access.

Here is one way it can be done:

The user who wants access to a document attaches the document to his person record in IFS. That will be the triggering point that starts the process. Possibly, to allow attaching documents without triggering the flow, you could require them to also set a Association Category on the connection itself.

A custom event action connected to the custom event will now add an approval line on the document or, if that is not a good place (the document might be released), on some other object. Perhaps a document folder, used for this purpose ("Approving document access requests"), since that is a very "light" and easy to handle object? It could be a fixed folder always used for this, or a specific folder can be created from the event. A new document, perhaps only a temporary one, that "mirrors" the document they want access to, might also work. The key is to have a place to add the approval step.

Start the approval process so that the approvers (which you added in the first custom event) get notified.

Once one of them approves, another custom event does the rest (grants the access, possibly remove any temporary objects that is not needed any longer.)

Easy peasy, right?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Mathias,

You were quicker than I expected to respond to the queston, still going strong :-).

Thanks for the input, we were thinking of a solution along these lines, wanted to get yours and other input and thoughts. We are actually going to start the process form the Business Mail object, to which the msg file will be attached as a document.

Will see if we have some other great ideas and let you know what we end up doing.

/Tor

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

We are actually going to start the process form the Business Mail object, to which the msg file will be attached as a document.

Aha! You had information you didn't disclose with us! 😛

So, can the user who want access send an actual e-mail to IFS and it will be processed automatically into a Business Mail, thus triggering the flow?