Skip to main content
Question

How document file storage using Azure outside the Cloud database works.

• 10 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Can someone in R&D  maybe help me with a description of how document file storage using Azure outside the Cloud database will work. Some customers want to run Documents Management in IFS Cloud, but not with the cost of adding it to the database. Are there any limitations in having a file storage outside the Cloud?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Using the File Storage repository type in Docman is, for all common/traditional uses cases, the same as using the Database repository type.

One "fringe" use case that we know doesn't support File Storage right now and it's archiving reports in Docman using reporting rules. There is a workaround to this though, if needed.

We also have a restriction on document replication, where the replication framework/engine does not yet support File Storage.

Did I miss anything, @Mayura Wasantha @diwelk ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

PS. 

In addition to that, some CRIMs that assume easy access to document files via PL/SQL will probably not work. It's complicated, and limited in what we can do, when we have PL/SQL code running in Oracle and want to interact with document files in File Storage.

You didn't ask for this, and it's not IFS Document Management, but we have a similar restriction with Media Library and where we cannot use media items (images) in reports if they are stored in File Storage.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you for this!   We have been struggling with understanding why images no longer worked on a report and my first suspicion was that the report designer reports just don’t support FS…  Support has not been able to determine the cause.   When is this anticipated to be fixed as it is a pretty significant part of the media item concept.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Does anyone know if there is a possible work around for media items stored in FS and reports?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

@abyerly 

Removing the said limitation should be in our backlog, but I cannot give you a release in which it will be changed. It's not in 24R2, so 25R1 or later.

As a workaround, this is what you can do, if it fits your use case:

1. Change the setting such that Media Library items are stored in the database.
2. Upload the Media Library items that you need to use on reports.
3. Change back the setting to use File Storage.

I said "if it fits your use case", because it might not. The above works if you use Media Library in reports for things like logos and other. That is, static content that rarely needs to be changed and rarely uploaded. It does not work well, or at all, when what you want to include are images connected to, say, equipment objects, and you need to include those images in reports, and if you upload new such images regularly.

What's your use case? How much data are we talking about?