Docman, edit with...

• 8 January 2020
  • 27 replies

Show first post

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@KasunBalasooriya 

(However I noticed that for editable documents like word, you get an open with prompt..) 

I do not see that. Do you have at screenshot?

We are investigating, if we can handle all documents related to parts from within IFS. Create, check-out, check-in. I am surprised that the “open with” function is not there. It is important that you can choose. E.g. PDF. When you receive PDF- invoice by email, you want to open it with Acobat reader. If it is PDF with graphic stored in docman, you want to open it with Illustrator.

We have looked at some options

• Handel it with macros. It does not seem to be possible.
  • Drag the document from IFS to the application (check-out). Not working.
  • Have the users to quickly change the default windows app for that fil extention. RMB or something. If requires messed with the registry. Usually a bad idea. 
  • Check-out the file to the default app. Close the app. Locate the file on the local drive and open it with the desired app. Troublesome.

How does other handle this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Hans,

I believe the applications are defaulted to the windows defaults. Although you won’t be able to get the windows open with prompt, you can use the External Viewer Application option in the prompt and pick the executable you prefer to open the document with.(However I noticed that for editable documents like word, you get an open with prompt..) 

Thanks,

Kasun